Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Comma in TextBox Problem (Spanish)

I have a US created spreadsheet with VBA that has a form
with a textbox, that sets the default value to a cell
value

example:
me.textbox1.value = sheets("WT").range("A1").value

The number in A1 is 10.85

When run in a Spanish system with a spanish version the
10.85 is shown as 10,85.

Any clues why this happens?

Thanks,

Jeff B
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jeff B wrote:
I have a US created spreadsheet with VBA that has a form
with a textbox, that sets the default value to a cell
value

example:
me.textbox1.value = sheets("WT").range("A1").value

The number in A1 is 10.85

When run in a Spanish system with a spanish version the
10.85 is shown as 10,85.

Any clues why this happens?

Thanks,

Jeff B

Microsoft has International settings that can control things like:
decimal (. or ,), date formatting (month/day/year or day/month/year).
They can be set for the entire operating system in Regional and
Language Options (WinXPPro - earlier was International IIRC) in the
Control Panel.

Different programs support these settings to different degrees. Excel
supports them very much. It seems that your Spanish system has the
decimal displayed as a comma. No big worries - the underlying value
remains unchanged. It's only formatting. Or, the .Value property is
unaffected - only the .Text property.

Finally, Excel allows you to override this behavior in Tools | Options
| Internation (tab) - uncheck Use System Separators, then specify
exactly what you want the decimal points to be. (This is an
application level setting.)

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a US created spreadsheet with VBA that has a

form
with a textbox, that sets the default value to a cell
value

example:
me.textbox1.value = sheets("WT").range("A1").value

The number in A1 is 10.85

When run in a Spanish system with a spanish version the
10.85 is shown as 10,85.

Any clues why this happens?

Thanks,

Jeff B

Microsoft has International settings that can control

things like:
decimal (. or ,), date formatting (month/day/year or

day/month/year).
They can be set for the entire operating system in

Regional and
Language Options (WinXPPro - earlier was International

IIRC) in the
Control Panel.

Different programs support these settings to different

degrees. Excel
supports them very much. It seems that your Spanish

system has the
decimal displayed as a comma. No big worries - the

underlying value
remains unchanged. It's only formatting. Or, the .Value

property is
unaffected - only the .Text property.

Finally, Excel allows you to override this behavior in

Tools | Options
| Internation (tab) - uncheck Use System Separators, then

specify
exactly what you want the decimal points to be. (This is

an
application level setting.)

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Matthew,

Thanks for the info.

In the third paragraph you mention a setting in Excel. I
cannot finf this setting in Excel 97 or Excel 2000. Is
this in a newer copy of Excel?

Thanks,

Jeff
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
xl2002 only I believe.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Jeff B." wrote in message

<snip
Matthew,

Thanks for the info.

In the third paragraph you mention a setting in Excel. I
cannot finf this setting in Excel 97 or Excel 2000. Is
this in a newer copy of Excel?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry - Forgot to mention that. Tom's probably right as I am running
Excel 2002.

Matthew