Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2002 RTD - GetNewValues and RestartServers

Hi Stephen,

In short, yes, you are correct. I know that I can do this with the
GetNewValues parameter. The wrinkle is if a user has opted not to
have updates immediately and then decides to update the values in an
already open workbook - how can I "restart" the RTD process to begin
pulling in new values?

Thanks for your reply - hope this makes sense.

Christopher J. Rizzo

(Steve Culhane [MS]) wrote in message ...
Christopher,
From what I've read it seams like you want to turn on and off the update
through an add-in. And you want the user to be able to do this on a
per workbook basis.

Let me know if that's what you're looking for

Stephen Culhane

Microsoft Developer Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds good...I'll keep looking at it also - keep me posted.

CJR
---------------------

(Steve Culhane [MS]) wrote in message ...
Christopher,
I'm researching a way I think you can do it, and will get back to you
on my success or failure, ASAP. If it works I'll have sample code for you
too.

--------------------
| From:
(Christopher Rizzo)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming
| Subject: Excel 2002 RTD - GetNewValues and RestartServers
| Date: 9 Jul 2003 12:09:46 -0700
|
| Hi Stephen,
|
| In short, yes, you are correct. I know that I can do this with the
| GetNewValues parameter. The wrinkle is if a user has opted not to
| have updates immediately and then decides to update the values in an
| already open workbook - how can I "restart" the RTD process to begin
| pulling in new values?
|
| Thanks for your reply - hope this makes sense.
|
| Christopher J. Rizzo
|

| -----------------------------------------------

(Steve Culhane [MS]) wrote in message
| Christopher,
| From what I've read it seams like you want to turn on and off the
update
| through an add-in. And you want the user to be able to do this on a
| per workbook basis.
|
| Let me know if that's what you're looking for
|

| Stephen Culhane
|

| Microsoft Developer Support

rights.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Christopher,
I was wrestling with the add-in concept, and found out that it was just
not
practicle. I confered with a couple of other folks here that confered with
me.
The problem is that the add-in has to have access to your RTD object through
multiple workbooks or instances of Excel. This gets a lot more
complicated,
and I don't know where to start, or when I'd be finished doing a proof of
concept (POC)
on it. But here's another alternative. Wrap the RTD in a UDF. Use a
global variable to
see if you want to do the update or not. Here's a quick sample you can
put in a sheet
to show you what I'm talking about. With a little tweeking and tuning I
think this will give
you what you want. The RTD Object I'm using here is documented in MSDN
under
Building Excel Real-Time Data Components in Visual Basic .NET. You could
uses
your own or one of the KB article samples. Here a KB article with one
too...

HOWTO: Create a RealTimeData Server for Excel 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=285339

Now the code. Add this code to an Excel Workbook

Dim AllowRTD As Boolean

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
AllowRTD = False

Boolean)
runRTD = False
End Sub

Public Function MyRTD(MyObject As String, Topic1 As String, Topic2 As
String) As Double
If AllowRTD = True Then
MyRTD = Application.WorksheetFunction.RTD(MyObject, "", Topic1,
Topic2)
End If
End Function

Public Sub TurnOffRTD()
AllowRTD = False
End Sub

Public Sub TurnOnRTD()
AllowRTD = True
Application.RTD.RestartServers
End Sub

Then in your spreadsheet go to a cell and put the call to the main UDF
=MyRTD("Stock.Quote", "MSFT", "Last")
or
=MyRTD("Stock.Quote","MSFT", "Open")

If you experiment with the TurnOffRDT and TurnOnRTD function you see that
if you
Wrap all your RTD calls by a function you can turn them all on and off at
will. You can
event put them in an XLA if you want.

Let me know if this resolves this for you...

Stephen Culhane

Microsoft Developer Support

--------------------
| From:
(Christopher Rizzo)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming
| Subject: Excel 2002 RTD - GetNewValues and RestartServers
| Date: 11 Jul 2003 12:22:01 -0700

| Sounds good...I'll keep looking at it also - keep me posted.
|
| CJR
| ---------------------

(Steve Culhane [MS]) wrote in message
| Christopher,
| I'm researching a way I think you can do it, and will get back to
you
| on my success or failure, ASAP. If it works I'll have sample code for
you
| too.
|
| Stephen Culhane
|

| Microsoft Developer Support

rights.

| --------------------
| | From:
(Christopher Rizzo)
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming
| | Subject: Excel 2002 RTD - GetNewValues and RestartServers
| | Date: 9 Jul 2003 12:09:46 -0700
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed 00.sul.t-online.de!t-onlin

e.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!sn-xit-03!sn-xit-06!sn-
| xit-09!supernews.com!postnews1.google.com!not-for-mail
| |
| | Hi Stephen,
| |
| | In short, yes, you are correct. I know that I can do this with the
| | GetNewValues parameter. The wrinkle is if a user has opted not to
| | have updates immediately and then decides to update the values in an
| | already open workbook - how can I "restart" the RTD process to begin
| | pulling in new values?
| |
| | Thanks for your reply - hope this makes sense.
| |
| | Christopher J. Rizzo
| |

| |
| | -----------------------------------------------
| |
(Steve Culhane [MS]) wrote in message
| | Christopher,
| | From what I've read it seams like you want to turn on and off
the
| update
| | through an add-in. And you want the user to be able to do this on
| | per workbook basis.
| |
| | Let me know if that's what you're looking for
| |
| |
| | Stephen Culhane
| |

| | Microsoft Developer Support
| |
| | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Stephen,

The wrapper idea was good - I was using a function wrapper for RTD
anyway. Here's what I did, which gives me most of the functionality I
need:

In the ConnectData method of my real-time data solution, I check a
variable that determines if this is the first pass through this
procedure. If this is true, it checks to see what value the
GetNewValues parameter has being passed into the function. Under this
condition a message box appears, asking users if they want to refresh
data. Since an existing worksheet will always pass GetNewValues =
False when re-opened, this gives the user an opportunity to refresh
existing values or keep the last saved data. If they choose to keep
static data, a global variable sets GetNewValues = False and all data
on the worksheet will remain static (though updates will still happen
behind the scenes). If the user chooses to receive refreshed data,
the global variable is set to True and all data will be constantly
refreshed. A side-note here is this: even on a static worksheet, if
a user wants a new data item's value, they can enter the function and
return a fresh value, but one that will remain static (this is because
all newly entered values will have GetNewValues=True, which will
override the global setting. The other place I made a change is to
check the status of the global GetNewValues variable before performing
an .UpdateNotify. If it's false, I skip the update - if it's true, I
update away.

Next thing for me to do is implement a toggle to turn this on/off at
will. Given my current implementation, this should be pretty easy as
my global variables could probably just become properties to the RTD
component.

Thanks for your help with this - let me know if you want to see some
code.

CJR