southwood

Default autosave

I do not have the button in Tools - what should I do ?

Dave Peterson

If you're running xl2k or earlier, install the autosave addin via
windows|Start button|settings|control panel|Add or remove programs

If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin
from an earlier version, it should work ok.

But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as autosave,
but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows crashes.

As an alternative, you may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin
called AutoSafe (note spelling).

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open the
last version it saved.

--

Dave Peterson
Gord Dibben

That would depend upon which version of Excel you are running.

There is no Autosave.xla add-in with XL2002 and 2003 as there was in earlier
versions.

Autorecovery from ToolsOptionsSave is it. This is not the same as Autosave
which made true incremental saves at intervals.

Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes
normally without incident.

BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla
in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine.

I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 and does the job.

To download the 97 version go here.....

http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

In addition to the above......Jan Karel Pieterse has an addin called AutoSafe

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups
from the recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm

(look for AutoSafe.zip)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP