VBB06

Default HOW DO YOU SET UP INVOICE NUMBER SEQUENCE

IN EXCEL EACH MONTH I SENT OUT RENT/INVOICES TO A NUMBER OF RENTERS. iIS
THERE A SETUP SO THAT i DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER WHAT IS THE NEXT INVOICE
NUMBER. iS IT POSSIBLE TO PROGRAM THE INVOICES SO THAT AT THE END OF EACH
MONTH THE INVOICE NUMBER WILL PRECEDE IT AUTOMATICALLY
Don Cameron

VBB06
Think outside the square. !
It is not necessary that invoice numbers be sequential - only that they be
unique
I have an application where an invoice being prepared for a specific party
on a regular basis (monthly) is given a number composed of two parts

Since the invoice requires a date I fill that in on the invoice.
The invoiced party has a number identifier which is not but could be on the
invoice.
The invoice number is the date using "format, number, zero decimals"
concatenated with the identifier.

an example
If D6 contains 30 April 2005 in number format = 38472
and E6 contains a renter identifier say 451 (although it could be alpha but
formula below would need an adjustment) then put the following formula in F6
"=concatenate(text(0,D6),text(0,E6))" without quotes
you will have F6 showing 38472451 ( you could reverse the two so that the id
is first (45138472)
which can be used as the invoice number.

This method has several advantages
1 You do not have to remember what numbers have been used
2. An invoice can be fully identified from its number - you know date and
party
3. No two invoices will ever have the same number unless you issue two on
the same day to the same party.

Hope this is useful to you
Cheers
Don