Susan

Default calculate a running balance

I want to calculate a running balance for a check register in Excel. How do I
do that without having to enter the formula each time? Can I have the column
headings set up first? Thanks! This will be for Excel 2000
Paul B

Susan, this assumes that you have a starting balance in G2, with deposits in
column F and payments in column E, starting in row 3, in G3 put
=(IF(OR(E3,F30), OFFSET(G3,-1,0)- E3+F3,"")) and copy down, if you would
like I could send you a workbook set up for this, post back if you would
like to take a look at it.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Susan" wrote in message
I want to calculate a running balance for a check register in Excel. How

do I
do that without having to enter the formula each time? Can I have the

column
headings set up first? Thanks! This will be for Excel 2000

Susan

Thank you, Paul. It worked. I tried it on a worksheet at home after reading
your reply. Since the deposit and withdrawal columns are reversed on the
worksheet at work, all I have to do is switch the letters in the formula to
set it up there.

"Susan" wrote in message
I want to calculate a running balance for a check register in Excel. How

do I
do that without having to enter the formula each time? Can I have the

column
headings set up first? Thanks! This will be for Excel 2000

Paul B

Your welcom, glad that will work for you

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Susan" wrote in message
I want to calculate a running balance for a check register in Excel.

How
do I
do that without having to enter the formula each time? Can I have the

column
headings set up first? Thanks! This will be for Excel 2000

Susan

Okay, a problem. Your formula worked at home but not at work, where I need
it. I have my headers on that worksheet. Is that causing the problem? After
putting in the formula, I get #VALUE! in the cell. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Susan

"Susan" wrote in message
I want to calculate a running balance for a check register in Excel.

How
do I
do that without having to enter the formula each time? Can I have the
column
headings set up first? Thanks! This will be for Excel 2000

Paul B

Susan, are you starting in row 3 with a balance in row 2? post back with how
you workbook is set up

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Paul B" wrote:

Susan, this assumes that you have a starting balance in G2, with

deposits in
column F and payments in column E, starting in row 3, in G3 put
=(IF(OR(E3,F30), OFFSET(G3,-1,0)- E3+F3,"")) and copy down, if you

would
like I could send you a workbook set up for this, post back if you

would
like to take a look at it.

--
Paul B
Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit

from it
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Susan" wrote in message
I want to calculate a running balance for a check register in

Excel.
How
do I
do that without having to enter the formula each time? Can I have

the
column
headings set up first? Thanks! This will be for Excel 2000

Susan

Paul, I'm pretty sure I entered the formula incorrectly. I brought a copy of
the workbook home and got the formula to work tonight, so I must have made a
mistake at work this morning. Thanks again for your help! Susan