Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Excel Linking

If I have an Excel document that links to other Excel documents and I update
this document which does affect the linked documents, when does that
linking take place? Do all the linked files need to be open when the
initial document is edited or do the linked Excel documents update the next
time they are opened?

All these documents were Excel 2003 format (XLS) and worked fine, since then
they've all been converted to Excel 2007 format (XLSX) and are now
inconsistent in linking.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Links will always update when both source and destination files are
open. Some formulas are too difficult for Excel to update when the
source file is closed - but in such cases I would expect to see an
error value when the destination workbook is recalculated.

If you would like to share more information on the links that are not
working in 2007 it might reveal something.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England