Phil Hageman

Default Vertical ND Curve on Combination Chart

I would like to plot a normal distribution curve horizontally (on the Y axis)
in a chart with vertical data histogram plots (up and down) and horizontal
line plots (+/- 1 SD) €“ all currently using the Y axis. I have the
histogram/SD portion built. Is there a way to use a secondary axis on the
left side of the chart for the nd curve, yet have the nd curve appear on the
right side of the chart? Actually, it may not make a difference just which
axis, Y or secondary, the plots are attached to so long as the plots can be
placed on the chart in an orderly fashion to display three issues: histogram
data, lines for +/- 1 SD, nd curve - the SD lines must be logical with the nd
curve. The next question: how would I shade the area of +/- 1 SD?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil Hageman

Tushar Mehta,

Sorry for the confusion. I have plotted 15 data points as vertical columns -
they are positioned up-and-down, using the Y axis for values. Next, I
plotted +/- 1 standard deviations and the mean value as horizontal lines
(they run straight across the chart), also using the Y axis for values. What
I want to do is plot a normal distribution curve such that the nd curve mean
and SDs are all synchronous with the three horizontal lines already on the
chart. The nd curve apex is right and it opens to the left. I want the
viewer to see how the three lines across the chart align with the nd curve.

Thanks, Phil

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

In the subject you mention a vertical ND curve but in the body you
mention horizontally. So, it is not clear what you want to do.

In any case, you might want to check http://www.tushar-
mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html specifically the link for 'Invert and
rotate charts'

To draw straight lines that match up with pre-determined values see
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...nes/index.html
Also, Jon Peltier has an alternative approach on his site.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I would like to plot a normal distribution curve horizontally (on the Y axis)
in a chart with vertical data histogram plots (up and down) and horizontal
line plots (+/- 1 SD) ΓΆ‚¬=3F all currently using the Y axis. I have the
histogram/SD portion built. Is there a way to use a secondary axis on the
left side of the chart for the nd curve, yet have the nd curve appear on the
right side of the chart? Actually, it may not make a difference just which
axis, Y or secondary, the plots are attached to so long as the plots can be
placed on the chart in an orderly fashion to display three issues: histogram
data, lines for +/- 1 SD, nd curve - the SD lines must be logical with the nd
curve. The next question: how would I shade the area of +/- 1 SD?

Thanks,
Phil

Michael R Middleton

Phil Hageman -

Jon Peltier has some examples of adding lines to charts at
www.peltiertech.com, and you might be able to adapt the techniques shown on
my "Better Histogram" page at www.treeplan.com.

The Better Histogram uses a Column chart type (vertical bars) for a
histogram and a hidden XY (Scatter) chart type for horizontal axis labels.
The hidden XY data series could be used to show a normal curve, and
additional XY data series could be used to show vertical lines.

But I am not familiar with the chart you describe: "vertical columns," which
I would generally associate with a standard histogram showing numerical
values on a horizontal axis and vertical bars whose heights represent
frequencies (which is the kind created by Excel's Histogram tool and
somewhat enhanced by my Better Histogram), and "... and the mean value as
horizontal lines," which would instead be vertical lines using the standard
histogram orientation.

- Mike

www.mikemiddleton.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

In the subject you mention a vertical ND curve but in the body you
mention horizontally. So, it is not clear what you want to do.

In any case, you might want to check http://www.tushar-
mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html specifically the link for 'Invert and
rotate charts'

To draw straight lines that match up with pre-determined values see
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...nes/index.html
Also, Jon Peltier has an alternative approach on his site.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I would like to plot a normal distribution curve horizontally (on the Y
axis)
in a chart with vertical data histogram plots (up and down) and
horizontal
line plots (+/- 1 SD) ?=3F all currently using the Y axis. I have the
histogram/SD portion built. Is there a way to use a secondary axis on
the
left side of the chart for the nd curve, yet have the nd curve appear
on the
right side of the chart? Actually, it may not make a difference just
which
axis, Y or secondary, the plots are attached to so long as the plots
can be
placed on the chart in an orderly fashion to display three issues:
histogram
data, lines for +/- 1 SD, nd curve - the SD lines must be logical with
the nd
curve. The next question: how would I shade the area of +/- 1 SD?

Thanks,
Phil

Tushar Mehta

Hi Phil,

I delayed responding hoping someone else would have an idea of what it=20
is you are trying to do. It appears that is not the case.

Like Mike, I just don't understand what you are charting.

If you plot 15 data points in a column chart, the x-axis are categories=20
(such as "Sample 1", "Sample 2", "Sample 3", etc.). It is possible to=20
calculate the mean for this data set and plot it as a horizontal line. =20
However, this layout doesn't help any analysis vis-a-vis the=20
distribution of the data.

In a normal distribution chart, the mean value is that value of x=20
(along the *x-axis*) where the pdf value (along the y-axis) is the=20
highest. I cannot understand how one can draw a horizontal line at the=20
mean value. The same applies to the std. dev. values.

Two references:
Mike Middleton's paper:
ESTIMATING THE DISTRIBUTION OF DEMAND USING BOUNDED SALES DATA
http://www.usfca.edu/~middleton/demand.pdf

and my tutorial
Drawing a Normal curve
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...n/index.htm=20

I imagine you will find more with a google search.

--=20
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,=20
says...
Tushar Mehta,
=20
Sorry for the confusion. I have plotted 15 data points as vertical column=

s -=20
they are positioned up-and-down, using the Y axis for values. Next, I=20
plotted +/- 1 standard deviations and the mean value as horizontal lines=

=20
(they run straight across the chart), also using the Y axis for values. =

What=20
I want to do is plot a normal distribution curve such that the nd curve m=

ean=20
and SDs are all synchronous with the three horizontal lines already on th=

e=20
chart. The nd curve apex is right and it opens to the left. I want the=

=20
viewer to see how the three lines across the chart align with the nd curv=

e.
=20
Thanks, Phil
=20
"Tushar Mehta" wrote:
=20
In the subject you mention a vertical ND curve but in the body you=20
mention horizontally. So, it is not clear what you want to do.
=20
In any case, you might want to check
http://www.tushar-
mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html specifically the link for 'Invert and=

=20
rotate charts'
=20
To draw straight lines that match up with pre-determined values see=20
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...nes/index.html =20
Also, Jon Peltier has an alternative approach on his site.
=20
=20
--=20
Regards,
=20
Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions
=20
In article ,=20
says...
I would like to plot a normal distribution curve horizontally (on the=

Y axis)=20
in a chart with vertical data histogram plots (up and down) and horiz=

ontal=20
line plots (+/- 1 SD) =C3=A2=E2=3D3F=AC=3D3F all currently using the =

Y axis. I have the=20
histogram/SD portion built. Is there a way to use a secondary axis o=

n the=20
left side of the chart for the nd curve, yet have the nd curve appear=

on the=20
right side of the chart? Actually, it may not make a difference just=

which=20
axis, Y or secondary, the plots are attached to so long as the plots =

can be=20
placed on the chart in an orderly fashion to display three issues: hi=

stogram=20
data, lines for +/- 1 SD, nd curve - the SD lines must be logical wit=

h the nd=20