T.R. Young

Default How to get Excel to round fractions to nearest 32nd?

I have formatted a column to show fractions, but I want that column to
display even denominators, highest of which is 32nds. Sometimes, I get 5ths,
31s, etc... Can anyone shed some light on how I can force Excel to round
only to even fractions (quarters, eighths, sixteenths, thirtyseconds) , with
32nds as the lowest denominator?
Thank you for your time!
T.R. Young

Let me clairify; I have a data sheet with cut lengths of multiple objects,
which I enter onto an Excel spreadsheet in a particular column. I want the
next column to display fractions, rounded to the nearest even denominator,
the lowest of which is 32nds. It would save me a lot of time to have Excel
convert for me, but I keep getting odd fractions (5ths, 31sts, etc...)
T.R. Young

Ok, if I had been patient and dug a little deeper, I would have found it
before I posted this question. I found the formula...
Sorry! :)
JulieD

do share :)

(saves me having to think about it)

--
Cheers
JulieD
"T.R. Young" wrote in message
Ok, if I had been patient and dug a little deeper, I would have found it
before I posted this question. I found the formula...
Sorry! :)

zackb

Rounding can be tricky. There are many formulas to which will do this, and
a lot of them will appear to have the same end result. Let me assure you
that each rouding-type formula is different, and will have different
outcomes in various circumstances.

That being said, it sounds like you would prefer a CEILING or FLOOR
function, as these will allow you to specify the fraction you wish to go
up/down to (e.g. nearest 1/4 or 1/2 or 1/32, etc).

As I see you have found a solution, I agree with Julie, share please. :)
Give others the benefit of which you have received. :)

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr