CanalSupport

Default Excel Viewer and External Data

We have a number of spreadsheets that retrieve data from an access database
that, in turn, uses linked tables to our accounting system via ODBC. We have
a terminal server that users in the remote office use to access this
accounting system, but it does not currently have office installed. I
installed the Excel Viewer and set up the system DSN, but no data was
retrieved and no error messages were displayed. I have only spent about 15
minutes on this problem, but before I spend the next 2 days trying to get
this to work, I would like to know if it is possible for the Excel Viewer
(2003) to view spreadsheets such as these. If this is too vague, I would be
happy to provide any extra information. Thanks in advance.
Lady Layla

From Microsoft Office Website:

What you can do with Excel Viewer

If you don't have Excel installed, you can use Excel Viewer to do the following:

Open a workbook for viewing Excel Viewer can open these Excel file formats:
..xls, .xlt, .xlc, .xlm, and .xlw.
View a worksheet You can scroll to view the different parts of a worksheet.
Work with the data You can select, search for, and filter (filter: To display
only the rows in a list that satisfy the conditions you specify. You use the
AutoFilter command to display rows that match one or more specific values,
calculated values, or conditions.) data. You can even copy the data to
another program. However, without Excel installed, you won't be able to edit the
data and save the changes that you make.
Print a worksheet You can specify the data that you want to print and set the
print options to print any worksheet data, just as you would in Excel.

To get more information about using Excel Viewer after you have installed and
started the program, click the Online Excel Viewer Help command on the Help
menu, which is available when you are connected to the Internet.

"CanalSupport" wrote in message
: We have a number of spreadsheets that retrieve data from an access database
: that, in turn, uses linked tables to our accounting system via ODBC. We have
: a terminal server that users in the remote office use to access this
: accounting system, but it does not currently have office installed. I
: installed the Excel Viewer and set up the system DSN, but no data was
: retrieved and no error messages were displayed. I have only spent about 15
: minutes on this problem, but before I spend the next 2 days trying to get
: this to work, I would like to know if it is possible for the Excel Viewer
: (2003) to view spreadsheets such as these. If this is too vague, I would be
: happy to provide any extra information. Thanks in advance.

Support

I read this already, of course. I understand that I can search for, filter,
copy, etc., but the question is: can I actually --retrieve-- the data with
the Excel viewer? Excel is used simply to draw pretty pictures. The
spreadsheetis blank until the data is retrieved from Access. I have gone
through the online help, and could find no statement regarding external data.
A simple yes or no would suffice. This post only answers my question if I
make the assumption that "modification" is synonymous with "retrieval."

"Lady Layla" wrote:

From Microsoft Office Website:

[...]

Lady Layla

I apologize profusely for attempting to assist you.

I would say that the answer to your original question is No it can not do
that -- you need to either purchase a working version of Excel or save a static
copy for whoever needs the information. Updating the data is considered
"editing" therefore is in the list of things that can not be done.

"Support" wrote in message
: I read this already, of course. I understand that I can search for, filter,
: copy, etc., but the question is: can I actually --retrieve-- the data with
: the Excel viewer? Excel is used simply to draw pretty pictures. The
: spreadsheetis blank until the data is retrieved from Access. I have gone
: through the online help, and could find no statement regarding external data.
: A simple yes or no would suffice. This post only answers my question if I
: make the assumption that "modification" is synonymous with "retrieval."
:
: "Lady Layla" wrote:
:
: From Microsoft Office Website:
:
[...]
: ...
[...]

support

I apologize profusely for the generalized anxiety disorder that tends to make
me catty, and the two nights of insomnia which puts a nasty little edge on
the cattiness.

support