Mike Fox

Default Automatic Chart Update?

Is there a way to automatically update a chart when a data point is
added without redrawing the chart? Went to Tool/Options/ Calculate
tab and the automatic update feature is checked.

I'm running Win XP Pro with Office Pro.

Thanks

Mike
Don Guillett

One way is to define a named range that is self adjusting and use that as
your series.
insertnamedefinename it sometingin the refers to box type
=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($A:$A),6) Look at HELP index for OFFSET and adjust
in your series, type in (modify to suit)
=myworkbook.xls!myseries

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Mike Fox" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a chart when a data point is
added without redrawing the chart? Went to Tool/Options/ Calculate
tab and the automatic update feature is checked.

I'm running Win XP Pro with Office Pro.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Fox

Thanks for the help.

Mike

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 07:12:09 -0600, "Don Guillett"
wrote:

One way is to define a named range that is self adjusting and use that as
your series.
insertnamedefinename it sometingin the refers to box type
=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($A:$A),6) Look at HELP index for OFFSET and adjust
in your series, type in (modify to suit)
=myworkbook.xls!myseries

TonyG

Advancing this somewhat... is there a way to deal with multiple series in the
same data column?

The data is sorted so that the each series is in an unknown range in the
column i.e. the range changes as data is added. Thanks in advance for your
help..... Tony G

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Glad it helped

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

wrote:

One way is to define a named range that is self adjusting and use that as
your series.
insertnamedefinename it sometingin the refers to box type
=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($A:$A),6) Look at HELP index for OFFSET and

adjust
in your series, type in (modify to suit)
=myworkbook.xls!myseries

Jon Peltier

Tony -

You mean update several series? How do you know how to select the data manually? Can
you duplicate this with detection with a set of defined names? Alternatively, if
there is a key of some sort in an adjacent column, you might be able to use a pivot
table to separate the data into columns.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

TonyG wrote:

Advancing this somewhat... is there a way to deal with multiple series in the
same data column?

The data is sorted so that the each series is in an unknown range in the
column i.e. the range changes as data is added. Thanks in advance for your
help..... Tony G

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Glad it helped

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

. ..

wrote:

One way is to define a named range that is self adjusting and use that as
your series.
insertnamedefinename it sometingin the refers to box type
=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($A:$A),6) Look at HELP index for OFFSET and

adjust

in your series, type in (modify to suit)
=myworkbook.xls!myseries

TonyG

Yes. There is a separate data column (singular) that distinguishes each
series, generally a text identifier. The data set is sorted on this to
separate each series. Having to deal with many data sets, the number of
records in each series changes with each data set. Consequently, an auto
update would be a time-saver. "Counta" as Don suggest works well with one
series. Will "CountIf" work in the OFFSET dialogue? I have tried it without
success so far, likely because I don't fully understand it.

Tony

TonyG wrote:

Advancing this somewhat... is there a way to deal with multiple series in the
same data column?

The data is sorted so that the each series is in an unknown range in the
column i.e. the range changes as data is added. Thanks in advance for your
help..... Tony G

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Glad it helped

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

. ..

wrote:

One way is to define a named range that is self adjusting and use that as
your series.
insertnamedefinename it sometingin the refers to box type
=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($A:$A),6) Look at HELP index for OFFSET and

adjust

in your series, type in (modify to suit)
=myworkbook.xls!myseries

Jon Peltier

Tony -

I defined a range "WholeRange" which consisted of the range with sorted text
identifiers. Based on this I defined another range, "PartRange" with Refers To as
follows:

=OFFSET(WholeRange,MATCH("a",WholeRange,0)-1,1,COUNTIF(WholeRange,"a"),1)

where "a" was one of the text identifiers. PartRange refers to the range of cells in
the column to the right of the block of cells containing "a". I made a chart, and in
the Source Data step of the wizard, on the Series tab, I used this for the Y Values
of the series:

=Sheet1!PartRange

The chart displayed the appropriate values.

- Jon
-------

TonyG wrote:

Advancing this somewhat... is there a way to deal with multiple series in the
same data column?

The data is sorted so that the each series is in an unknown range in the
column i.e. the range changes as data is added. Thanks in advance for your
help..... Tony G

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Glad it helped

--