jwr

Default Importing access database info into excel

I have an access database. In this database, I have several forms and
reports that need to be sent via email to other individuals. They need to
enter info into several locations and then return via email to me.

If I export the form/report to excel, the format is lost. Is it possible to
create a form/report in excel, import the info from my access database, and
then email to another location without losing the info and also allowing
that individual to enter info into specific cells?

Thanking you in advance.
Punkinr

Bill Manville

Jwr wrote:
I have an access database. In this database, I have several forms and
reports that need to be sent via email to other individuals. They need to
enter info into several locations and then return via email to me.

The reason I have not attempted to reply sooner is that I couldn't make sense
of the message. You can't email an Access form as far as I know.
You can export a report in RTF format, for example, and the recipient could
modify the content but there would be no easy way to use the data coming back.

If I export the form/report to excel, the format is lost. Is it possible to
create a form/report in excel, import the info from my access database, and
then email to another location without losing the info and also allowing
that individual to enter info into specific cells?

There is no such thing as a report in Excel. Excel has forms but they don't
have cells. You can run queries in Excel to import data from the database.
You can make a worksheet look like a form, up to a point, and you can protect
it so that the user can only enter data into certain cells, but once the user
has received this file and entered information into it what happens next?
They do nothing? They email it back? What happens when you receive it back?

Without knowing the whole story it is hard to give good advice, but if I were
doing this I think I would build a web-based solution in which the email would
just contain a link to a web page into which the recipient would enter
information and have it fed back to the database that way.

This is a non-trivial task and you might be wise to employ someone (not me!)
who has done this sort of thing before.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England