Shirley

Default What's the best way to learn Pivot Tables and using Macros in Exc.

Dave Peterson

I think the best way to learn is to find some data and play with it. I think
it's better to use real data and have a result in mind--so it's not just an
exercise.

Pivottables:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

Macros:

I like the newsgroups and google.
microsoft.public.excel.programming

And maybe a book.

Debra Dalgleish has a list of books at her site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

John Walkenbach's is a nice one to start with. I think that John Green (and
others) is nice, too (for a second book??). See if you can find them in your
local bookstore and you can choose what one you like best.

Recording a macro is also a good way to learn about excel--not so good for
learning about writing code. It records actions that you do--and that doesn't
always generate good code.

Shirley wrote:

--

Dave Peterson
Dave Peterson

And make sure you use a copy of the real data--don't break anything!

Dave Peterson wrote:

I think the best way to learn is to find some data and play with it. I think
it's better to use real data and have a result in mind--so it's not just an
exercise.

JulieD

depends on how you learn ... personally i like to play and go hunting down
answers when i can't figure it on my own, others like to attend a well
structured hands-on training course where they are introduced to the basics
of a topic, still others like to read books and some even find learning via
an on-line or CD training course helpful.
--
Cheers
JulieD