LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
LMB

Default Subtract several rows from a total

Hi Guys,

I have a total in cell C32. I want to subtract numbers in cells C 34-40 and have the answer in cell C41. I know that =C32-C34 will give me an answer but I want several rows to be subtracted. What would my formula be?

I have used the insert function feature before but I don't see diff or anything that looks like a subtraction function in there.

Thanks,
Linda
  #2   Report Post  
Trevor Shuttleworth

Linda

=C32-SUM(C34:C40)

Regards

Trevor

"LMB" wrote in message ...
Hi Guys,

I have a total in cell C32. I want to subtract numbers in cells C 34-40 and have the answer in cell C41. I know that =C32-C34 will give me an answer but I want several rows to be subtracted. What would my formula be?

I have used the insert function feature before but I don't see diff or anything that looks like a subtraction function in there.

Thanks,
Linda
  #3   Report Post  
David McRitchie

Look at the SUM Worksheet Formula

C41: =C32 - SUM(C34:Offset(C41,-1,0))

I guess C33 is on a blank row or at least that cell is empty.
The use of OFFSET(C41,-1,0) instead of C40
allows you to insert a row before row 41 later that
would also be subtracted.
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001]
My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

Hi Guys,

I have a total in cell C32. I want to subtract numbers in cells C 34-40 and have the answer in cell C41. I know that =C32-C34 will
give me an answer but I want several rows to be subtracted. What would my formula be?

Thanks,
Linda

#4   Report Post  
gls858

LMB wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have a total in cell C32. I want to subtract numbers in cells C 34-40
and have the answer in cell C41. I know that =C32-C34 will give me an
answer but I want several rows to be subtracted. What would my formula be?

I have used the insert function feature before but I don't see diff or
anything that looks like a subtraction function in there.

Thanks,
Linda

Here's one way..put this in C41

= C32-(SUM( C34:C40))
  #5   Report Post  
LMB

Thanks you guys!
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Linda

#6   Report Post  
CLR

If you gave cell C32 the RangeName "Price", and gave the range C34:C40 the RangeName "Costs", then you could use

=price-SUM(costs)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Linda