David McRitchie

Default Problem setting up formulas

Hi Just Judy,

Bit hard to read your layout when columns don't line up
row1 reserved for column label headings:
c2: 500
A3: 2005-04-01 (a date)
B3: 10 (a payment amount)
C3: =C2-B3 or better =OFFSET(C3,-1,0)-B3
D3: =D2+B3 or better =OFFSET(D3,-1,0)+B3

use the fill-handle to copy formulas down.
I say the OFFSET is better because it allows you to insert
a row or delete a row, or possibly to sort the rows
---
HTH,

"Just Judy" wrote in message ...
Hi folks,

I'd like a simple table, that I've spent four days attempting
to create using "More" Excel 5 for Dummies. I do believe this book has
caused me more confusion than I had before opening it. Grrrr.

A B C D

Date Amount Balance Total Spent

1 $500.00

2 4-1 $10.00 $490.00 $10.00

3 4-2 $95.00 $395.00 $105.00

4 4-3 100.00 $295.00 $205.00

I went to the Microsoft site and looked at templates available
for download, and I found one that's a check register, but,
unfortunately, I must have the information that you see in Column-D
above (total spent), and that column is not available at the MS site.

Is a document such as mine possible in Microsoft Office Excel
2003? It seems so simple, but it's fried my brain. :(

Thanks for taking the time to read this post; please reply
here. I'll be back in hope of a response. Also, please keep it
simple; assume I know nothing. ;)

Thanks again,
--
Judy~