knutsenk

Default converting copied data to numbers in excel xp

I tryed following the instructions for converting text to numbers and it
didn't work.
I am sure someone has had this problem. Any help appreciated.

thanks,

kris
Ron de Bruin

Hi Kris

Have you try this

Copy a empty cell
Select the cells with text values
Right click on the selection
Choose Paste Special ..... Add
OK
ESC

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"knutsenk" wrote in message ...
I tryed following the instructions for converting text to numbers and it
didn't work.
I am sure someone has had this problem. Any help appreciated.

thanks,

kris

Gord Dibben

Kris

If Ron's method does not do the job, perhaps you have some junk in the cells.

Extra spaces, non-breaking spaces to name a couple.

Depends upon where the text is imported from.

Post back if that is the case.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"knutsenk" wrote in message ...
I tryed following the instructions for converting text to numbers and it
didn't work.
I am sure someone has had this problem. Any help appreciated.

thanks,

kris

knutsenk

Thanks for the assistance Ron, however that did not work either. I am
attaching a couple of numbers from the sheet I am trying to convert.

3
5
16
11
24

I tried copying these back from here to the Excel sheet, matching
destination, and then the multiply solution worked. So I will copy out of the
worksheet into another application and back again. However, I often need to
do this so if you have an easier method I am all ears. Thanks in advance for
your help.

Kris Knutsen

"knutsenk" wrote in message ...
I tryed following the instructions for converting text to numbers and it
didn't work.
I am sure someone has had this problem. Any help appreciated.

thanks,

kris

Gord Dibben

knut

Download Chip Pearson's CELLVIEW add-in from

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

Load through ToolsAdd-ins.

Select the data and Chip's add-in will show you what the characters in the
cells are.

You may be able to clear them using TRIM or CLEAN.

Most likely David McRitchie's TRIMALL macro will be of greatest assistance.
Cleans up what TRIM and CLEAN miss.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"knutsenk" wrote in message ...
I tryed following the instructions for converting text to numbers and it
didn't work.
I am sure someone has had this problem. Any help appreciated.

thanks,

kris

CLR

Sometimes this works.........

Highlight the column, Data Text to Columns Delimited Next and
un-check all delimiters Finish

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3