burkina

Default Calculate frequencies and draw pie chart

Hi,

I need to do what seems really a stupid thing, but I can't find an easy
way to do it with Excel.

Suppose to have a column like this:

The letters can be changed with anythin else, like numbers, whole
words, etc.
What I need is a chart pie with the frequencies of each letters.
So, the frequencies are A=4, B=2, C=1 and the pie should automatically
represent them with the right percentages.

It seems that you can't do that in excel with 'a single click'.
Is it true?
How should I do that?
If it's not so easy, can you suggest me other software?

Thanks,

Stefano

JulieD

Hi

can't offer a "single click" solution - but it seems to work
1) click in your data range
2) choose data / pivot table and pivot chart report, accept all defaults
3) you should end up with one item on the field list, drag this item to both
the "rows" and "data" areas
4) on the pivot table toolbar, click on the chart icon - change the chart
type to pie & under chart options, display the % data labels.

--
Cheers
JulieD
"burkina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I need to do what seems really a stupid thing, but I can't find an easy
way to do it with Excel.

Suppose to have a column like this:

The letters can be changed with anythin else, like numbers, whole
words, etc.
What I need is a chart pie with the frequencies of each letters.
So, the frequencies are A=4, B=2, C=1 and the pie should automatically
represent them with the right percentages.

It seems that you can't do that in excel with 'a single click'.
Is it true?
How should I do that?
If it's not so easy, can you suggest me other software?

Thanks,

Stefano

burkina

Thank you!
It was the same solution I found after a while of trafficking on the
Excel options. It seems to work reasonably. However, I'm really amazed
at finding out that you can only export the produced plot within the
Office suite and not, say, as a jpg. I hope I'm wrong in this...

Stefano

JulieD

Hi

you could always copy & paste it into Paint or some other drawing program
and save it as a jpg from there.

--
Cheers
JulieD
"burkina" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you!
It was the same solution I found after a while of trafficking on the
Excel options. It seems to work reasonably. However, I'm really amazed
at finding out that you can only export the produced plot within the
Office suite and not, say, as a jpg. I hope I'm wrong in this...

Stefano

Debra Dalgleish

Andy Pope has a free add-in that you can use to export images:

http://www.andypope.info/vba/gex.htm

burkina wrote:
Thank you!
It was the same solution I found after a while of trafficking on the
Excel options. It seems to work reasonably. However, I'm really amazed
at finding out that you can only export the produced plot within the
Office suite and not, say, as a jpg. I hope I'm wrong in this...

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

burkina

Thank you!
However, I'm still amazed there's not a default 'Export' option in
Excel...

Stefano