Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Links between workbooks

Is there a way to maintain a link(s) between workbooks contained within
sub-folders of a master folder when you copy the master folder? Right now all
the links refer back to the workbook in the copied folder.
--
JimD
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I have this both on our server and locally on my C drive (which has never
been to or linked to the copy on the server) and they both hold their links
to the copied folder instead of being held relative to each other within the
folder structure.
--
JimD

"Bill Manville" wrote:

In general, links TO files in the same folder or a sub-folder thereof
are held as relative and so survive moves of the whole structure.

Links to files in the parent folder MAY be held as relative, but may
not be - especially if the folder is accessed via a UNC filename, e.g.
\\server\dir.

If the links are not held as relative then you are out of luck.
Use Edit Links Change Source.
Or, if there are lots of files with links I could offer a free utility
to change the links (LinkManager; email me at Bill underscore Manville
at Compuserve dot com).

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I repeat my previous reply.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi Bill,

I am planning a data migration and would like to scan prior now to identify
which workbooks have external references that will be affected by a path
change. Would you please send me a copy of your LinkManager Utility to
enable me to do this.

CathH

"Bill Manville" wrote:

In general, links TO files in the same folder or a sub-folder thereof
are held as relative and so survive moves of the whole structure.

Links to files in the parent folder MAY be held as relative, but may
not be - especially if the folder is accessed via a UNC filename, e.g.
\\server\dir.

If the links are not held as relative then you are out of luck.
Use Edit Links Change Source.
Or, if there are lots of files with links I could offer a free utility
to change the links (LinkManager; email me at Bill underscore Manville
at Compuserve dot com).

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

CathH wrote:
Would you please send me a copy of your LinkManager Utility to
enable me to do this.

I would be very happy to do so.

Unfortunately I don't know your email address.
So why don't you email me (Bill underscore Manville at Compuserve dot
com) with the request so that I can attach it to my reply.