philm13

Default Drop down defining content of a range of cells

Excel 2003
I want to allow users to choose a month via a validation box and see data
relevant to that month. Other worksheets/workbooks contain the data to be
shown - mostly in ranges of cells. I know I could do it cell by cell with
nested IF statements, but this is incredibly tedious.

Is there an easy way to do this?
JulieD

Hi

not sure of what you're after here
say on sheet 1 you have your drop down box - and user Fred choose March
do you want all of march's information copied from the various workbooks /
worksheets into sheet 1 for him to view or do you want each workbook
/worksheet he opens / views only display March's values
either way i'm not sure "easy" is a word i'ld use to describe this.

would another approach be to build a pivot table with the relavent
information and then he can filter on that to see the data he's interested
in - check out
for information on pivot tables from multiple consolidation ranges to see if
this is a feasible option.

Cheers
JulieD

"philm13" wrote in message
Excel 2003
I want to allow users to choose a month via a validation box and see data
relevant to that month. Other worksheets/workbooks contain the data to be
shown - mostly in ranges of cells. I know I could do it cell by cell with
nested IF statements, but this is incredibly tedious.

Is there an easy way to do this?

philm13

Julie
it's the first option you mention - if I tried getting people to use pivot
tables they'd never go near it!!!

I know that this is probably a database function, but it would make my life
easier if I could do it in Excel!

Can you think of any way it could be done?

Thanks

Phil

"philm13" wrote in message
Excel 2003
I want to allow users to choose a month via a validation box and see data
relevant to that month. Other worksheets/workbooks contain the data to be
shown - mostly in ranges of cells. I know I could do it cell by cell with
nested IF statements, but this is incredibly tedious.

Is there an easy way to do this?

JulieD

Hi Phil

how many worksheets / workbooks are we talking about here ... how can you
know what is "march's" data ... most things are possible but maybe not
practical :)

Cheers
JulieD

/

"philm13" wrote in message
Excel 2003
I want to allow users to choose a month via a validation box and see
data
relevant to that month. Other worksheets/workbooks contain the data to
be
shown - mostly in ranges of cells. I know I could do it cell by cell
with
nested IF statements, but this is incredibly tedious.

Is there an easy way to do this?

philm13

It's actually reporting sales and revenue data from a couple of workbooks: in
those workbooks, data is put under the appropriate month. I want to create a
summary sheet of key data in another workbook which takes selected ranges of
cells from the other workbooks. What I'm having to do at the moment is to
create 12 summary sheets, each with formulae in every cell, referring to the
data I need.

Most of the data I want to bring in is in contiguous cells (mostly columns
rather than rows).

What I'd like to achieve is a single summary sheet with a drop down
containing the month. When a particular month is selected, the data
appropriate to that month is brought in.

Any help most gratefully received!!!!

Phil

"philm13" wrote in message
Excel 2003
I want to allow users to choose a month via a validation box and see
data
relevant to that month. Other worksheets/workbooks contain the data to
be
shown - mostly in ranges of cells. I know I could do it cell by cell
with
nested IF statements, but this is incredibly tedious.

Is there an easy way to do this?

JulieD

Hi Phil

although it won't give you all the functionality you want - if the workbooks
have a similar structure Data / Consolidation might be a way to go ... check
it out and let me know what you think

Cheers
JulieD