MarthaSue

Default Creating a check mark box

I would like to create a check mark box in my excel document so that I can
click on it and a check mark will appear. I would then like to create a
formula that would add a dollar amount in the total column if the checkmark
is present. Could someone please let me know how I can go about doing this?
Dave Peterson

Show the Forms toolbar (View|toolbars|Forms)

You'll see a checkbox on that toolbar.
Click on it and draw your checkbox in the cell you want.
Now right click on that checkbox and select Format Control
Then on the Control Tab, assign a nice Cell link (I'll use A1).
(if you protect that sheet, make sure that cell link is unlocked.)

Now use a formula that checks the value in that cell link:

=if(a1<true,"",sum(b:b))
(don't put this formula in Column B--or adjust the range:
=if(a1<true,"",sum(b2:B9999))

--

Dave Peterson
MarthaSue

Hi Dave, thanks for the quick response. I am still having trouble, please
forgive me, as I am learning as I go. When i am trying to do the cell link, I
am getting an error
"The text you entered is not a valid reference or defined name".

I wrote =if(a37<true,"",then(U37=$375.00). If the box is checked then I
want Excel to enter the dollar amount (375.00) in the total amount. I am
creating an electronic ticket. Please let me know if you can help me. I
appreciate your time,
Sharlene

MarthaSue wrote:

I would like to create a check mark box in my excel document so that I can
click on it and a check mark will appear. I would then like to create a
formula that would add a dollar amount in the total column if the checkmark
is present. Could someone please let me know how I can go about doing this?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

First, a formula can only return a value to that cell that holds the function.

So you'd have to put this in U37:
=if(a37<true,"",375)

But I don't see how this fits in your Total amount????

MarthaSue wrote:

I would like to create a check mark box in my excel document so that I can
click on it and a check mark will appear. I would then like to create a
formula that would add a dollar amount in the total column if the checkmark
is present. Could someone please let me know how I can go about doing this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
MarthaSue

Sorry I don't think I explained myself properly. I am creating an electronic
field ticket. In this case, if an employee had used this product, they would
check the box in a37, and that would put the $375. amount in the total column
on the right hand side of the ticket column. If the product is being used,
the box is not checked, and the $375 value won't be put in the total column.
I hope this makes sense. Thanks for all your help Dave, I really appreciate
it. Do you visit this site often, I would love to pick your brain about some
other stuff, if the need arose?

MarthaSue wrote:

I would like to create a check mark box in my excel document so that I can
click on it and a check mark will appear. I would then like to create a
formula that would add a dollar amount in the total column if the checkmark
is present. Could someone please let me know how I can go about doing this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I'm hear lots of times. But if you post, you'll get a lot of responses.

I still think that formula would work--unless I'm missing something.

This is equivalent, but I find it easier to read:

=if(a37=true,375,"")
or
=if(a37=true,375,0)

This formula does go into one of the cells in the total column.

MarthaSue wrote:

I would like to create a check mark box in my excel document so that I can
click on it and a check mark will appear. I would then like to create a
formula that would add a dollar amount in the total column if the checkmark
is present. Could someone please let me know how I can go about doing this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
MarthaSue

New problem. Check box works initially, but if I click on the box to remove
the checkmark it gives me "False" in the total column. Then if I click on it
again to give me a check mark it gives me "True" instead of my value
($375.00). Please help.

MarthaSue wrote:

I would like to create a check mark box in my excel document so that I can
click on it and a check mark will appear. I would then like to create a
formula that would add a dollar amount in the total column if the checkmark
is present. Could someone please let me know how I can go about doing this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Is your linked cell in the range of stuff you want to add?

If yes, move that linked cell out of the way.

If no, post back the formula you use, the cell that its in and the linked cell's
address (all three).

MarthaSue wrote:

I would like to create a check mark box in my excel document so that I can
click on it and a check mark will appear. I would then like to create a
formula that would add a dollar amount in the total column if the checkmark
is present. Could someone please let me know how I can go about doing this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
MarthaSue

Sorry Dave, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean. How do I know if
it is in the range that I want to add? How do I move the linked cell?How do
I post back the formula and link all three? Sorry I'm not following your
reply. . ..

MarthaSue wrote:

I would like to create a check mark box in my excel document so that I can
click on it and a check mark will appear. I would then like to create a
formula that would add a dollar amount in the total column if the checkmark
is present. Could someone please let me know how I can go about doing this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

When you put the checkbox on the worksheet, you assigned a linked cell.
#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the
formula bar and paste into your response.)

Your responses he

MarthaSue

Hi Dave,

1.U37

2.u37

3. u37

4.=IF(A37<TRUE,"",375). But when I uncheck the cell (A37), it says FALSE
in U37. When I click on U37 to read the formula, it is no longer there, it
just shows FALSE in the formula bar. If I click on A37 (checkmark), U37 then
changes from FALSE to TRUE, but still my formula is erased. I hope this
makes sense to you Dave . . . .

#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the

#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the
formula bar and paste into your response.)

Your responses he

MarthaSue

Hi Dave,

That makes sense now that you mention that, but I am unsure of how to write
in my formula that I want the total to end up in U37. I am currently using
" if(a37=<true,"",375). Sorry so many questions, I appreciate your help Dave.

#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the
formula bar and paste into your response.)

Your responses he

Dave Peterson

I'm kind of confused. I was thinking that you had multiple checkboxes that
you'd look at.

Do you have a single checkbox that overrides all the values or do you have
multiple checkboxes that you have individual formulas (and those contribute to
the sum)?

If you have multiple checkboxes, you can put this kind of formula in column U:

(U2 and copy down (headers in row 1???))

=if(a2<true,"",375)

Then to get the sum, you can just use:

=sum(u2:u36)

(36 is the last row with that formula.)

#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the
formula bar and paste into your response.)

Your responses he

MarthaSue

Hi Dave,

I am making an electronic field ticket, I do have more than one check box,
but not for the entire ticket. Some things will always be charged out, so
that was fairly easy to do, but some things are only charged out if they are
used. So that's where the check boxes came in. If the product/service was
used, the check mark box is checked and then I wanted a value to
automatically go in the subtotal column. So . . .

A37 = check mark box with a cell link to U37
U37 = an entry in my subtotal column for the entire ticket, want this cell
to either read $375.00 (if checked) and $0.00 (if unchecked).Was putting in
the formula --if(a37=<true,"",375) in U37 but you mentioned that I should
put this in another cell. My question is "Should my formula have U37
referenced in it so that my values end up in U37?"
I'm not sure if I answered your questions, let me know if you need more
information

#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the
formula bar and paste into your response.)

Your responses he

Dave Peterson

I think I'd do this.

Put the checkbox in A37
But link that checkbox to Cell A37
give A37 a custom format: format|cell|number tab|custom|;;;
(just 3 semicolons--so the cell looks empty)

Then in U37, put this formula:
=if(a37=true,375,"")
Which is equivalent to the old formula. =if(a37<true,"",375)

Then just use:
=sum(U:U)
or whatever rows you need
=sum(u2:U44)
????

#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the
formula bar and paste into your response.)

Your responses he

MarthaSue

Hey Dave, please ignore my last entry as I think I have figured it out . . .
Thanks for all your help!!!

"MarthaSue" wrote:

Dave you are amazing, it works like a charm!!!! I would like to tweak it a
little though, is there anyway that I can make the cell show a " $ - ",
(dash) if the box is unchecked. . . . .

#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the

#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the
formula bar and paste into your response.)

Your responses he

Dave Peterson

Instead of this formula:
=if(a37=true,375,"")
use:
=if(a37=true,375,0)

but format that cell using that $ icon on the toolbar.

#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the