Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Unwanted Change to File Name in Link

I have posted this in excel.misc but this seems to be a better fit.
Apologies for the duplicate Post

I have an Excel workbook (Call it A) that extracts version informaton
from a series of templates.

However if one of those templates is used to create a workbook whilst
workbook A is open, then the filename in the link changes to the
daughter woorkbook.

This is unwanted.

I have a work around .

By making workbook A a template, the derived workbooks change as
described above but are discarded and the original version is
retained. I find this inelegant.

Anyone able to explain the behaviour (or is it a feature )

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

On Apr 28, 5:42*pm, Bill Manville wrote:
I agree the behaviour does not seem to have any obvious merit, but it
seems to have been like that from Excel 2002 to 2007 inclusive, at
least - and probably since the beginning of time. *

It is unlikely that it will be changed since it could potentially break
existing applications. *However I will post the question on a Microsoft
site where the developers will have the opportunity to review it and
possibly comment.

Meanwhile you have one work-around.
I guess another possibility would be to make the source workbooks not
be templates but just standard xls files - if that doesn't cause you
problems elsewhere.

Not an option but thanks for the thought.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Thanks Bill it just surprised

Nick