Anthony

Default File Error: Data May Have Been Lost

This sounds a lot like a problem I am having. Have a workbook with
macros/formulas that I e-mail to others when I update it. Has worked fine for
over a year until yesterday it started giving the 'File Error: data may be
lost' when they open it, then lots of clicks thru error messages. Then it
opens with data gone.

Odd thing is it still works fine for me at my home and work PC's. But not
for them at all. If I send them a previous version, that one works fine too,
so I am very confused.

Is probably important to note that this newest update contains new info
copy/pasted from other's worksheets that I did not create. But I do not know
enough about this problem to search in the new data and fix.

Can't go back to older version because too many changes in the new.

If anyone can assist, much appreciated.

"Ken Wright" wrote:

Not sure to be honest as I would have expected the Break links option to
work. If you know where the links are then you can do it manually, or by
all means send it to me and I'll take a quick look for you. You would need
to take the NOSPAM bit out of my email addy.

You can also try Bill Manville's excellent FINDLINK addin:-

http://www.bmsltd.ie/mvp/

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Tbird2340" <tbird2340(AT)hotmail.com wrote in message
I tried the file detect repair and that didn't do anything... However,
the file in question has links that can't be updated. Apparently the user
that created this template lnked it to files on his desktop and then
published the template to the network.. There are 3 links.. I'm going to
"Edit Links" and I'm trying to break the links to the three files... I

can
break the link to one of the files but the other two stay there when I try
to break the links..

Any ideas?? I think this may have something to do with the data loss.. How
can I break these other two links?

Thanks!

Ken Wright

What versions Excel?

File sounds like it may be partially corrupted. Excel 2002 upwards has a
File / Open & repair option that may help

--

"Ken Wright" wrote:

[...]

Anthony

I tried Open/Repair, but since the file is not having problems on my side, I
am not sure if it fixed anything. Wont know unless I e-mail to my partners
and they tell me.
If it is partially corrupted, why would it work OK on my end? I get no error
at all. Just my partners get it.

versions
Home - 2002 - works ok
work - 2000 - works ok
customer site - Not sure which but they are pretty up to date. I believe it
is the same version that worked before.

I sent a 2-week old verion of the file to them yesterday as a test and that
one still works OK for them. Leads me to believe that something crept into my
latest update of the file itself that is causing this.

In general, what kinds of things can cause this?

"Ken Wright" wrote:

[...]

Ken Wright

Corruption, if indeed that is what it is, is extremely hard to nail down I'm
afraid.

More than happy to try opening it and see if it plays up my end, assuming
you are able/willing to send it out - your call. You woulod need to take
the NoSpam bit out of my email addy. Might help to have one that you know
works and one that doesn't

--

"Anthony" wrote in message
[...]

<snip

Ken Wright

Must be the ISP's firewall doing that. Try zipping the file(s), or just
changing the extensions to .dat or something. I can then just change back
this end

--
Regards
Ken.......................

Ken Wright

LOL - You missed off the world bit, but please don't post it as a real addy.

ken dot wright at ntlworld dot com
^^^^^^

--
Regards

"Anthony" wrote in message
Did not go through again. I sent to with a ".dat"

suffix.
Never mind.