Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Help?

I need some help on a checkbook register workbook that I am making. I have a
column that is labeled as CATEGORIES which is a drop down list which
contains.... "auto,household,medical,misc.. I want this register to be
linked to a summary sheet which should show how much I spend in each
category. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Sounds like a job for SUMIF.

Suppose the list of categories is on the Summary sheet in A2:A20 and
the register sheet is named Register and contains categories in column
B and values in column C.

In B2 in the Summary sheet put the formula =SUMIF(Register!B:B, A2,
Register!C:C) and you should see the sum for the first item on the
category list.

Copy the formula down as far as B20.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England