syrhus

Default Create a Chart with Values from Array AND NOT from Ranges

I'm trying to manage data's graph from an array but when I try following case

|__________________________
|France | Italy | France | Italie |
| 2003 | 2004 |

I don't succeeded to generate the appropriate array.
Does anyone know how to do that WITHOUT ranges?

Thx
Jon Peltier

Poser of the day. I spent a half hour trying to insert an array into the
chart series' XValues property, and it wouldn't go.

If you construct a chart using a range to produce this category axis
pattern, then use the F9 key to change the XValues, your category axis
labels are put into this array:

={"2004","France","0","Italy","2005","France","0", "Italy"}

which is just one dimensional, and shouldn't work. And it doesn't if you
enter just that into the XValues.

Building 2-D arrays and saying .XValues = MyArray didn't work for any
array I could come up with.

All kinds of text representations of two-dimensional arrays which should
produce the proper array in the worksheet don't work in the chart. Here
are a few examples:

={"France","2004";"Italy","";"France","2005";"Ital y",""}
={"2004","","2005","";"France","Italy","France","I taly"}

Even the usual trick of making the chart with a range and using

.XValues = .XValues

fell down.

Probably someone will come along in five minutes with a simple solution,
but I'll go out on a limb here and say, you're out of luck.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

syrhus wrote:

I'm trying to manage data's graph from an array but when I try following case

|__________________________
|France | Italy | France | Italie |
| 2003 | 2004 |

I don't succeeded to generate the appropriate array.
Does anyone know how to do that WITHOUT ranges?

Thx

syrhus

Thanks Jon for the precious time you spent for my case!
In fact, I found effectivly than when I press F9 on the SERIES function in
the formula bar, Excel convert it into an array. The array is not exactly as
you wrote:
"France
2003"\"Italy"\"France
2004"\"Italy"

I found that Excel insert the chr$(10) between France and 2003 to generate a
2-D array.
So I succeed to generate the same array with :
..XValues = Array("France" & chr$(10) & "2003", "Italy", "France" & chr$(10)
& "2004","Italy")

BUT, of course there is a BUT, on the excel graph on wich I convert the
range into array, when I unckeck the Chart Options/Axes/Category (x) Axis and
ckeck again, the graph lost the representation of the 2 dimensions
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, it means (to my mind) that Excel graph doesn't support 2-D array :o(

syrhus wrote:

I'm trying to manage data's graph from an array but when I try following case

|__________________________
|France | Italy | France | Italie |
| 2003 | 2004 |

I don't succeeded to generate the appropriate array.
Does anyone know how to do that WITHOUT ranges?

Thx

Tushar Mehta

In article ,
says...
So, it means (to my mind) that Excel graph doesn't support 2-D array :o(

Well, it does and it doesn't. {g} Over time MS has done a lot to keep
XL going. Some (many?) things violate XL's own rules. The charting
module is notorious for its own idiosyncrasies. No reason for this to
be any different, eh? ;-)

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...

syrhus wrote:

I'm trying to manage data's graph from an array but when I try following case

|__________________________
|France | Italy | France | Italie |
| 2003 | 2004 |

I don't succeeded to generate the appropriate array.
Does anyone know how to do that WITHOUT ranges?

Thx

Jon Peltier

I've resisted the urge up until now, but I'll say it anyway:

The charting module isn't as smart as a worksheet. Especially with arrays and
defined names.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP