Pete Holsberg

Default Using a "variable"

I'm trying to make a payroll budget and would like to have
as a variable the decimal value of the maximum raise I plan
to give each employee (eg., 0.09 for a 9% raise). I would
then multiply each currentyear salary by 1 + the value fo
that variable.

I guess I can assign a single cell to that variable and use
it but that seems a little brute force-like.

Is there a more elegant way to deal with this?
Nick Hodge

Pete

You could assign it to a named constant (While you're at it why not make it
1.09). If it were called raise then you would just have a formula like
A1*Raise.

InsertNameDefine... and type in 'refers to' =1.09 and click 'Add'

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Pete Holsberg" wrote in message
I'm trying to make a payroll budget and would like to have as a variable
the decimal value of the maximum raise I plan to give each employee (eg.,
0.09 for a 9% raise). I would then multiply each currentyear salary by 1 +
the value fo that variable.

I guess I can assign a single cell to that variable and use it but that
seems a little brute force-like.

Is there a more elegant way to deal with this?

Chris Rogers

If your spreadsheet has all the employees in a list and you're not
giving blanket raises of 9%, you may want to add a column and name that
column "raise" (select the column and then follow nick's suggestion)
you may want to go another step and name the column with your existing
salaries something like "base". This way, if you have 10 employees
with their names in column A, their existing pay in Column B, and a
raise in column C, you could populate column d with the formula of
=base*raise.

HTH
Chris Rogers.