Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Hyperlinking help needed

Morning all.
Once again I am stupmed after trying something a little different this time.
I am trying to hyperlink a DWF file in Excel and while the hyperlink is built
and the file path is valid nothing happends. I have tried even inserting the
file in the spreadsheet and that doesnt even work. I have been trying to do
this for the majority of the week and thus far are no closer to a solution. I
can hyperlink any other file I desire, just not the DWF file.. is this a
permissions conflict? the file is on the srever and I have access to the
drive (I can open the file through windows) I just cant seem to get the
hyperlink to work. I have tried moving the file and building the link and
that does not work either. I have tried to use the hyperlink formula in the
cell as well and that does not even work. I have tried (thinking maybe it was
just my computer) to have a co worker open the lnk and that does not work
either. Could it be possible that Excel can not open links that are
associated with the AUTODESK DWF Viewer for some reason? Or maybe I am doing
something wrong. (have built hyperlinks before and never had this problem)

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide
--
Edward Dingman
Intern Drafter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Try something like:

=HYPERLINK("file:///C:\header.dwf","Design 001")

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200767

"Ed Dingman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I have already tried that to no avail. thank you though any other ideas?
--
Edward Dingman
Intern Drafter

"Ed Dingman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I suspect that the problem is related to either file associations or the
application itself.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200767

"Ed Dingman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I had thought that myself, Is there any way around that? maybe some way i can
"trick" excel into thinking its a Word Doc? I know that may be a bit of a
long shot but if its possible why not try right?

Thank you again for your help
--
Edward Dingman
Intern Drafter

"Ed Dingman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

If you double-click the DWF file in Windows Explorer (or similar) does
it open in the DWF viewer?

If not, you need to repair the file associations for DWF files.
I don't know how that program is installed or what options it gives for
repair, but try Control Panel Add and remove programs DWF Viewer
Repair. If Repair is not offered, try Remove and re-install.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Bill,
Thank you for your input and yes I can open the file in the DWF Viewer by
double clicking the file itself. I found the solution (that I am using at
least) by accident where I put a period after the extension. (as in
filename.DWF.) and that works, I am not sure why but it does and that is all
that matters

Again Thank you hope you have a great week.

--
Edward Dingman
Intern Drafter