TM

Default help in creating charts of vehicle data

I have a program that logs vehicle data, such as speed, rpm, and various
sensor data, and saves it to a comma delimited file.

I would like to use this data to create various charts but have never done
graphs or charting in excel and am having trouble creating some.

For the simple charts, such as rpm vs time, I used the wizard in excel to
create that.

But I wanted to make some, compound charts as I would call it. This would
be RPM and Speed vs time.

How would I create reports with 2 or more values vs time like this above ?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

--
Tony

Bradly McConnell

TM wrote:
I have a program that logs vehicle data, such as speed, rpm, and various
sensor data, and saves it to a comma delimited file.

I would like to use this data to create various charts but have never done
graphs or charting in excel and am having trouble creating some.

For the simple charts, such as rpm vs time, I used the wizard in excel to
create that.

But I wanted to make some, compound charts as I would call it. This would
be RPM and Speed vs time.

How would I create reports with 2 or more values vs time like this above ?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you trying to simply plot the rpm and speed over time on the same
graph, or are you trying to see an actual correlation? If you just want
to see them plotted on the same graph, then use a line or scatter, with
your time being the x-axis, and the two other variables being on the
y-axis. Otherwise, maybe someone else on the list can give a crash
course on statistics within excel - I'll leave that to the experts.

Brad
TM

I am not looking for any statistical analysis. I am just looking to crate
some charts where I can view data from more than one sensor on the same
chart.

For example, I would like to see (RPM, coolant temp, and intake temp) vs
time, on the same chart. That way I can see the relationships. Such as
obvious things like the temps will rise as the engine heats up. But if I
put a heat shield on something then I want to look at this chart and see if
the temps rise more or less after the modification.

This is the kind of thing I am looking to do. Hope this can be done

--
Tony

?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you trying to simply plot the rpm and speed over time on the same
graph, or are you trying to see an actual correlation? If you just want
to see them plotted on the same graph, then use a line or scatter, with
your time being the x-axis, and the two other variables being on the
y-axis. Otherwise, maybe someone else on the list can give a crash course
on statistics within excel - I'll leave that to the experts.

Brad

Bradly McConnell

TM wrote:
I am not looking for any statistical analysis. I am just looking to crate
some charts where I can view data from more than one sensor on the same
chart.

For example, I would like to see (RPM, coolant temp, and intake temp) vs
time, on the same chart. That way I can see the relationships. Such as
obvious things like the temps will rise as the engine heats up. But if I
put a heat shield on something then I want to look at this chart and see if
the temps rise more or less after the modification.

This is the kind of thing I am looking to do. Hope this can be done

If that's the case, you should simply be able to put the data into four
columns - for simplicity, we'll put time as the first (A), then RPM,
Coolant temp, intake temp in the following columns. Once you have the
data in place, create a chart using either the line or bar graph styles
(just to make it easy) - use the time column as your x-axis, and then
add a series for each of the other three columns. It should lay them
out. The only problem I see with tying in the RPM, is that the scale
will be way off for the temps. Either all the RPM marks will be above
the high point (using temps) or the temps will all show close to the
bottom (using rpm).

Brad

Bradly McConnell

TM wrote:
I see what you mean, but I think I am confusing myself. I think I need to
read up more on the basics of charting in Excel. I have never done charts
of any kind

Send me an email (to the actual address, not the group) so I can send
you an example - you might even just have to change the data, and use it
as is.

Brad
Jon Peltier

Bradly's advice is good. All I would suggest instead is to make an XY Scatter chart
instead of a column, line, or bar chart. This puts the actual values of time along
the X axis, rather than nonnumeric labels uniformly spaced regardless of their values.

Also, if the scale of the RPM data is way off from the temperatures, you can use a
secondary axis for RPM. Double click the series, and on the Axis tab, choose the
Secondary Axis option.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP