Bates Senior Thesis Researcher

Default Scientific Notation when graphing

Hi I'm using Excel 2003 and I am trying to make a column graph where the
y-axis represents bacterial growth in log form. Therefore, the numbers are
quite large. I need the axis to say "10^3" and not "1.E03". I am confused
as to why the only scientific notation that I can find is written as "1.E03"
because no scientific journal that I have come across uses this notation on a
graph. I have tried using the "custom" tool and adding "^3" to the end but
the number ends up being quite large and not anywhere what I need it to be.
Thank you.
Jon Peltier

Unfortunately, Excel was not designed to produce publication quality
graphics. Fortunately, I've figured out how to improve things, if only a
little bit. The scientific notation puzzle is worked out he

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...cNotation.html

So how's the weather up in Lewiston?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Bates Senior Thesis Researcher wrote:

Hi I'm using Excel 2003 and I am trying to make a column graph where the
y-axis represents bacterial growth in log form. Therefore, the numbers are
quite large. I need the axis to say "10^3" and not "1.E03". I am confused
as to why the only scientific notation that I can find is written as "1.E03"
because no scientific journal that I have come across uses this notation on a
graph. I have tried using the "custom" tool and adding "^3" to the end but
the number ends up being quite large and not anywhere what I need it to be.
Thank you.

Bates Senior Thesis Researcher

Thanks for the info! I shall pass it on to my advisor. I find it
interesting that a program designed by scientists and math people doesn't
produce scientific notation that way, but I suppose it's a moot point.

Lewiston is covered in several feet of snow. I predict it will remain on
the ground until graduation in May...

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Michael R Middleton

You wrote: " ... a program designed by scientists and math people ... "

Huh? Are you referring to Excel?

- Mike

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Tushar Mehta

Dunno who wrote XL in the first place but it sure wasn't scientists or
mathematicians...or if they were they were awfully bad at their jobs.

Things have improved in recent times but the program still has some
ways to go.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , =?Utf-
8?B?QmF0ZXMgU2VuaW9yIFRoZXNpcyBSZXNlYXJjaGVy?= <Bates Senior Thesis
says...