times99

Default Can't use "Open With" Excel, my version is registered but does no.

I am running Office Proff. 2000 and can't use the "open with" function for
excel or word. The rest of the programs appear in my choices but not these.
Mersion is registered so I am definitely confused. Can someone help?
Thanks.y v
Dave Peterson

Maybe you could click on the Browse button and point at Excel/Word.

I've added a shortcut to Word to my SendTo folder, so that I can see it under
rightclick|SendTo|Word.

(I didn't think excel would be useful for this. If the file is text, I want to
parse it using the text to columns wizard and File|open is nice for that.)

--

Dave Peterson
times99

The problem is this - my word and excel do not show up in the Browse or
listed programs in the "open with". I browse, go to microsoft office, click
on excel and nothing happens. I do have a registered version of excel and it
is registers. So I am copying the whole text file and then pasting to an
excel sheet. Bit tedious and time consuming. Previously excel was in the
list.

times99 wrote:

I am running Office Proff. 2000 and can't use the "open with" function for
excel or word. The rest of the programs appear in my choices but not these.
Mersion is registered so I am definitely confused. Can someone help?
Thanks.y v

--

Dave Peterson

Lady Layla

You dont want to set it to Open with Excel every time -- you want to Open it
with Excel

Open Excel, then File Open - change type of file to txt
Browse to the location of the file and click on the file

Follow Text wizard to open

"times99" wrote in message
: The problem is this - my word and excel do not show up in the Browse or
: listed programs in the "open with". I browse, go to microsoft office, click
: on excel and nothing happens. I do have a registered version of excel and it
: is registers. So I am copying the whole text file and then pasting to an
: excel sheet. Bit tedious and time consuming. Previously excel was in the
: list.
:
:
: times99 wrote:
:
: I am running Office Proff. 2000 and can't use the "open with" function for
: excel or word. The rest of the programs appear in my choices but not
these.
: Mersion is registered so I am definitely confused. Can someone help?
: Thanks.y v
:
: --
:
: Dave Peterson
:

Gord Dibben

What type of file extensions are you trying to "open with"?

Right-click on an *.xls file and Excel should be a choice for Open With.

Right-click on a *.doc and Word should be a choice.

If not, try re-registering Excel and Word thusly........

StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the /
mark).

You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround
with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver

For Word...........

StartRun "winword.exe /r" (no quotes and note the space before the /
mark). Again, you may have to enter the full path to winword.exe

Gord Dibben Excel MVP