Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Strange hyperlinks

Hello,

We use Office 2003 Sp2 on XP Sp2. I have a user that opens an Excel
worksheet that has hyperlinks. However the hyperlinks don't work for
anybody.

If I look at the hylerling address, it looks like
.../../../../../../../sharename/longpath/filename.xls (it should look like
\\servername\sharename\longpath\filename.xls)

I guess it's an option that is not right in her excel but which one is it?
Or is it something else?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Niveau3_TLB wrote:
If I look at the hylerling address, it looks like
.../../../../../../../sharename/longpath/filename.xls (it should look like
\\servername\sharename\longpath\filename.xls)

Excel attempts to make hyperlinks relative to the location of the workbook at
the time when they were originally created.

To prevent this behaviour which can be annoying as you have discovered, in
2003 or earlier use
File Properties Summary
and set Hyperlink Base to some non-existent UNC filename such as
\\NoServer\NoFolder

Then when you create a hyperlink there will be no way to make it relative to
where the workbook is located so it will be stored as an absolute link.

If you are using 2007 then the required dialog can be reached by
Office Button Prepare Properties Advanced Properties

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England