Doug Wilson

Default How do I show a percentage in Excel? Or do a simple subtraction?

I'm making a spreadsheet showing every mortgage payment I make split into:

Payment Taxes Insurance Interest
Principal Balance

Based on the fixed payment amount every month, the fixed Tax and
Insurance amounts every month and the difference in Balance from payment to
payment, calculating what percent of the payment and the dollar amount that
went to interest and what percent of the payment and the dollar amount that
went to pricipal is pretty remedial - but I can't find the function to insert
under Interest and Principal to calculate it. Somebody please help??
Bill Kuunders

Assume
F2 = starting balance of say 10000
a3 = fixed monthly payment of 500
b3 = fixed monthly tax payment of 50
c3 = fixed monthly insurance of 25
d3 = interest calculation = 0.07*F3/12
e3 = principal repayment = A3-B3-C3-D3
f3 = balance of principal left =F2-E3

You can extend the formula's down using the right hand bottom corner of the
cells and drag down.

first months' result is interest 58.33
principal 366.67
balance 9633.33