Nick M

Default Relative Chart Title?

For some reason when i try that all i get is an equal sign in my title. any
ideas??

"Patrick_KC" wrote:

Thanks, Gord - worked just like I wanted it to!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Patrick

If you already have a Title, click on it to select the box. In the formula
bar type an equal sign(=) then go select the cell you want as a title. Hit
ENTER key.

If you don't have a Title, go to ChartOptionsTitle and enter any text to get
a Title. Follow foregoing steps.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:57:02 -0700, "Patrick_KC"
wrote:

Is there any way to use a cell reference in a chart title?

Del Cotter

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Nick M said:

"Patrick_KC" wrote:
"Gord Dibben" wrote:
Is there any way to use a cell reference in a chart title?
If you already have a Title, click on it to select the box. In the formula
bar type an equal sign(=) then go select the cell you want as a title. Hit
ENTER key.

Thanks, Gord - worked just like I wanted it to!

For some reason when i try that all i get is an equal sign in my title. any
ideas??

You may, like me, have an older version of Excel (mine is Excel 95). You
can't put a formula in the actual title, only text, as you found out.

Not to worry, you can still make text boxes as formulas. Press F2 to
access the edit bar at the top of the screen, and type or select a
formula or cell: when you press "Enter" a new text box will be created,
usually in ten point Arial in the centre of the screen. Format the text
box just as you would the title, and reposition it, and now you can get
rid of the title!

Later versions of Excel, I understand, let you put formulae in the
title, which they should have done in the first place.

--
Del Cotter http://del_c.livejournal.com/

Send email to del2 at branta dot demon dot co dot uk
Jon Peltier

The error some people make is to type the formula as the text of the title. You need
to select the title without the cursor flashing in it and type the = and cell
reference (or click on the cell), or type the = and cell reference in the formula bar.

And I'm sorry, I don't remember ever trying this in Excel 5.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Nick M said:

"Patrick_KC" wrote:

"Gord Dibben" wrote:
[...]

Debra Dalgleish

I just tried it in Excel 5.0, and it worked as advertised.

Nick M said:

"Patrick_KC" wrote:

"Gord Dibben" wrote:
[...]

Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Bob Mc

All the above works great for referencing the title to a cell, but Excel
creates this as an absolute reference ($A$1), not a relative reference (A1).
I want the reference to be relative, so that if I copy the chart over
underneath a new set of columns, it automatically picks up the new title.
See my "I want chart source data to be relative references, not absolute"
post of 6/22/05 also. I believe Excel is adding the $ signs to enable the
charts to dragged around everywhere and still be linked to the original data.
However, on our spreadsheets this is of no benefit. But a chart with
relative references for source data and titles would save us a huge amount of
time and possible errors if we did not have to edit it every time we move or
copy it under another scenario of data. We do not want the chart forever
linked to a specific columns. We want the chart to reflect the info. in the
columns above it automatically. Is there any way to do this?