Bas Avel

Default Comparing incomparable

I want to create a simple (bar) chart where there would be sales compared
with number of shops compare with sales of chocolate compared with net
profit/shop

Of course such a chart would look terrible since the it would compare e.g.
16 shops with $ 6 800 000 of revenues with $ 35 000 of net profit per shop.
Is there a way to put it into one chart? the number of shops will be almost
an invisible bar while revenues will sky rocket - with such a chart (though
precise) it would be difficult to illustrate the market conditions in the
range of say, 3 years.

Or to put it in plain English: I want to see the relationship between
apples, pears,phonecall , flowers and rainfall though they would show a
different values since they are measured in different units ( $, kg, m3,
hours).
Markus Scheible

Hi Bas,

you could at least use the second y-axis to divide the two
very extremely diverging data ranges... (right-click and
use data options) but afaik you cannot use more than two y-
axis - so I would assume that you divide some of the
ranges by 1000 or 1000000 and set a text box within the
chart where you write "in M kg" "in B $" and so on...

Best

Markus

[...]

.

Jon Peltier

Want a tertiary axis to go with primary and secondary? Try this:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/TertiaryAxis.html

I had a project recently that actually went to Quaternary axes (that's
4, count 'em) using this technique.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP