LeAnne

Default Conditional formatting of text

Greetings, all -

I am creating a simple spreadsheet template to be distributed to users
for data entry purposes. The first column contains the names of the
desired data elements. The second column contains the definition for
each data element. The definitions are formatted in red text. I intend
for the user to remove the definition and replace it with the proper
information for each element. For example:

Data Element Definition
1.0 LastName The last name of the person to whom questions
about the sample should be directed.

The user would replace the definition with, say, "Smith" using the usual
method for overwriting data in a cell (i.e. click'n'type). Once the
definition has been overwritten and the user hits Enter, I would like
for the font color to change from red to black. Here's the rub...this
has to be done without macros or VB of any kind. I'm hoping to use
Conditional Formatting combined with some native formula that I have yet
to identify; something like the "IS" functions, perhaps? Alas, if only
there was such a thing as ISNEW()...

Ideas?

tia,

LeAnne

Andy Pope

Could you not use an additional column that is a copy of the Definition,
call it masterdefinition. This column can be hidden.
Then when the user changes the definition you can use a CF to test their
definition against masterdefinition.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
LeAnne

(OT: Do you folx top- or bottom-post here? Guess I'll bottom-post to be
on the safe side)

Peo Sjoblom wrote:

You would need a macro for this, no ISNEW function and conditional formats
only work with built in functions

Peo, thx for replying. As stated upthread, unfortunately I cannot use
code to accomplish this. I guess what I'm trying to do is mimic the
AfterUpdate event. I'm not wedded to Conditional Formatting, that just
seemed like the most likely option. But any other approaches would be
welcome.

thx again,

LeAnne
LeAnne

Andy Pope wrote:

Hi,

Could you not use an additional column that is a copy of the Definition,
call it masterdefinition. This column can be hidden.
Then when the user changes the definition you can use a CF to test their
definition against masterdefinition.

Cheers
Andy

Andy, not sure at all that I follow you. How could "Smith" be tested
against "The last name of the person to whom questions about the sample
should be directed"? Other than cofirming that the replaced defitintion
ISTEXT or something.

Puzzled,

L.

Andy Pope

Hi LeAnne,

Hopefully this will make things clearer.
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng35.htm

If I have mis-understood let me know.

Cheers
Andy

LeAnne wrote:
Andy Pope wrote:

Hi,

Could you not use an additional column that is a copy of the
Definition, call it masterdefinition. This column can be hidden.
Then when the user changes the definition you can use a CF to test
their definition against masterdefinition.

Cheers
Andy

Andy, not sure at all that I follow you. How could "Smith" be tested
against "The last name of the person to whom questions about the sample
should be directed"? Other than cofirming that the replaced defitintion
ISTEXT or something.

Puzzled,

L.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
LeAnne

Andy,

Oh...my...God.

That is absolutely brilliant. BRILLIANT, I say!

By the power vested in me, I hereby dub thee DA MAN.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!!

Cheers,

LeAnne

Andy Pope wrote:
Hi LeAnne,

Hopefully this will make things clearer.
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng35.htm

If I have mis-understood let me know.

Cheers
Andy