Coffeecoco930

Default How do I enter patterns in algebra?

If anyone is good or excellent in algrebra, please explain patterns in
setting up an algebraic formula? Need to explain it in terms a 13 year can
understand.
--
Coffeecoco
Stephen Knapp

Actually, it's pretty simple once you practice a bit. First off, look
for a simple, computer programming book at the library. This will give you
the basics for putting together formulas. Remember, however, that computer
programs can only calculate the "right side" of the formula, so something
like:

3X+7=9X-3

can't be done EASILY until you restructure the equation. Computer
programmers learn to build such formulas as

Calculate_Data = 9 * X - 3 - (3 * X + 7)

and then we merely plug in the value for "X." The library book will help
you understand the order (we call it "priority") of operators (multiply,
divide, add, subtract) and how to get the TERMS of the EXPRESSION to
calculate in the order that you want to get the proper answer. Once you
start to understand the basics, you'll then want to learn about FUNCTIONS
which can give you much more power over the math. Good luck.

Uncle Steve in Ohio

"Coffeecoco930" wrote:

If anyone is good or excellent in algrebra, please explain patterns in
setting up an algebraic formula? Need to explain it in terms a 13 year can
understand.
--
Coffeecoco

Coffeecoco930

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your help. I will look for a book an writing Excel formulas.
I am pretty good at using the Excel function feature, but have to learn the
new math terms the teacher are using today. Sometimes its very confusing.

Joan