GregBausman

Default Two bars for a Chart with a Secondary Axis

I need to create a bar chart that shows hours worked and documents reviewed
by about 6 individuals. Because the hours worked are between 2 and 18 hours
and the documents reviewed range from 45 to 1800, I edited the chart to have
a secondary y axis. My problem is that as soon as I did it, the 2 bars that
show each individual's work (hours and docs) that were adjacent to one
another now are combined into a single bar per individual. Is there any way
to separate them back into separate bars? Thanks for any help!
Greg
John Mansfield

Greg,

You can do so by adding a set of dummy series to the chart. To explain:

Create a basic clusted column chart based on the example data below. The
series should be in columns.

Act (1) Dummy (2) Dummy (3) Act (4)
a 5 2 2 5
b 3 2 2 3
c 4 2 2 4
d 6 2 2 6

Click once on the Series #4 columns.
Right-click on your mouse - Selected Object - Axis Tab
Plot series on secondary axis.

Click once on the Series #3 columns.
Right-click on your mouse - Selected Object - Axis Tab
Plot series on secondary axis.

Replace the data in the dummy series with zeros.
Replace the data in series 4 (titled Act (4)) with your secondary series
data.

The revised data set might look something like the one below.

Act (1) Dummy (2) Dummy (3) Act (4)
a 5 0 0 6,542
b 3 0 0 6,689
c 4 0 0 6,985
d 6 0 0 6,478

Finally, delete the legend entries for the two dummy series.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"GregBausman" wrote:

I need to create a bar chart that shows hours worked and documents reviewed
by about 6 individuals. Because the hours worked are between 2 and 18 hours
and the documents reviewed range from 45 to 1800, I edited the chart to have
a secondary y axis. My problem is that as soon as I did it, the 2 bars that
show each individual's work (hours and docs) that were adjacent to one
another now are combined into a single bar per individual. Is there any way
to separate them back into separate bars? Thanks for any help!
Greg

GregBausman

You rock! That worked! I can't thank you enough. I have just one last
question. How do you delete the legend entries for the two dummy series?
Also, did we need 2 dummy series or would this have worked with just one?
Thanks again,
Greg

"GregBausman" wrote:

I need to create a bar chart that shows hours worked and documents reviewed
by about 6 individuals. Because the hours worked are between 2 and 18 hours
and the documents reviewed range from 45 to 1800, I edited the chart to have
a secondary y axis. My problem is that as soon as I did it, the 2 bars that
show each individual's work (hours and docs) that were adjacent to one
another now are combined into a single bar per individual. Is there any way
to separate them back into separate bars? Thanks for any help!
Greg

John Mansfield

Greg,

To delete the dummy series from the legend, slowly click once on the outside
border of the legend to activated it. When activated you'll see little black
squares around the border. Then slowly click on the description for the
series. Hit the delete key. Be careful here because if you click on the
legend key (the colored part of the legend), the entire chart series will be
deleted.

I don't believe the same process would have worked with just one dummy
series. Since there are two series of bars, two dummy series (one for each
good series) is added to allow for proper spacing.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com