David

Default Running Scandisk (through) and Defrag

I am running Windows 98SE and have removed everything
running except Systray and Explorer. Also have disabled
Norton Internet Security and Norton Anti-Virus Auto
Protect and Task Scheduler. Also I have turned off my
cable modem. I am still unable to run Scandisk or Defrag.
Scandisk tries to run 10 times and says something is
trying to access my system and won't allow it to run,
Please make some suggestions; Thanks Dave

Jon Peltier

Make sure there is no internet or network connection, then leave the computer
completely alone while these programs run. Avoid even too many mouse movements. On
my 98SE machine, I have to lock down network communications with ZoneAlarm, or the
continuous writing of information to the disk resets Scandisk and Defrag. XP can
only run Scandisk on system startup, but Defrag doesn't mind the disk activities.

This is a Windows question. How come you're posting in an Excel group (except of
course, that we know everything)?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP