Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Edit Links Window Bug in Excel 2007

Hi all,

I just installed the new version of excel and i`m having problems with
the window for editing links.

We have a spreadsheet with more than 500 dde links to market data.

If i go to the edit links on the menu, the window opens with the same
height as the screen size, and i can't access the manual automatic
radio button, the startup prompt and neither scroll the whole list of
links.

Is this a known bug? if not, where can i report it?? i need this
wiondow working properly so i can start thinking in migrating the
users.

thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

It would help if you could attach a screenshot of the problem and a
copy of at least the relevant part of the workbook that produced it.

If you would prefer not to post it here, you could email it to me at
Bill underscore Manville at Compuserve dot com.

I will ensure it reaches the appropriate people in Microsoft.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hector wrote:
Have you got any news about this one?

Not yet.
I did report the problem (Edit Links dialog being unusable when there
are many links) to the product team but have had no response yet.

I will try another route.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi Marc

Sorry - no news.
I escalated it to a higher power within Microsoft but so far no
feedback. I will chase him up.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

On Oct 26, 6:08 pm, Bill Manville wrote:
Hi Marc

Sorry - no news.
I escalated it to a higher power within Microsoft but so far no
feedback. I will chase him up.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Bill:

Any news yet? I can provide a screenshot if it will help.

~Kelly
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I have just had 2 responses from Microsoft on this issue:
<<
Thank you for the bug report. This is a known issue, recorded in the
current product database under the title 'Height of "Edit Links" dialog
can exceed screen height with many links in book'

I commented that bug and also notified several others involved in this
area that we've had an MVP report of this as well.

Thanks again for the bug report.
Posted by Microsoft on 09/01/2008 at 20:05

<<
Also, some potential workarounds to consider:
- Use the VBA object model (.ChangeLink, .BreakLink), etc., to edit
individual links.
- With a link selected, press the down arrow key to scroll through the
links, including those not visible. Selecting Change Source will allow
you to see which link you're on, and hotkeys - for example, Alt+s for
Startup Prompt - can be used for the dialog controls that are not
visible.
- To see the rest of the dialog, while the Edit Links dialog is
displayed, press Alt+spacebar, M, then use arrow keys to move dialog.

Admittedly, some of these are not practical with a very large number of
links, but perhaps one of these may prove helpful.
Posted by Microsoft on 09/01/2008 at 21:13