Wazooli

Default XLStart

I have been reading several posts concerning modifying the default template,
but I have as yet not gotten this to work. I have saved "book.xlt" to both
XLStart folders, and still, when I click the appropriate button, my
modifications are not present. I have become weary of constanly making the
same changes to formatting, etc..., and would like to have the equivalent of
Word's "normal.dot" . Any help is appreciated.
Peo Sjoblom

Works fine for me. Can you do a file search and find it, then open it and it
works, if so your startup folders are not the correct one. Are you doing this
on a computer at work? My startup folder at work is at

C:\Documents and Settings\SjoblomP\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

and not at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Wazooli" wrote:

I have been reading several posts concerning modifying the default template,
but I have as yet not gotten this to work. I have saved "book.xlt" to both
XLStart folders, and still, when I click the appropriate button, my
modifications are not present. I have become weary of constanly making the
same changes to formatting, etc..., and would like to have the equivalent of
Word's "normal.dot" . Any help is appreciated.

GregR

Wazooli, do you close and reopen Excel after you make the changes and what
do you mean by clicling the appropriate button. If it is sheets you are
adding to a woorkbook you need to save the changes to sheet.xlt, so that any
sheets you add will have the formatting you want.

Greg
"Wazooli" wrote in message
I have been reading several posts concerning modifying the default

template,
but I have as yet not gotten this to work. I have saved "book.xlt" to

both
XLStart folders, and still, when I click the appropriate button, my
modifications are not present. I have become weary of constanly making

the
same changes to formatting, etc..., and would like to have the equivalent

of
Word's "normal.dot" . Any help is appreciated.

Dave Peterson

I'd make sure the template was in the correct folder.

Start excel
hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window
type this and hit enter:
?application.startuppath

For me (win98 and xl2002), I get this:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

I'd remove all the "extra" copies (more for my own sanity).

And is the appropriate button the New icon on the Standard toolbar?

--

Dave Peterson