cyrille

Default excel97 vs excel2000 (Find instruction)

Hi,
I have the following procedu

1 With Worksheets(1).Range("b10:b5000")
2 Set C = .Find("Science", LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole)
3 If Not C Is Nothing Then
4 firstAddress = C.Address
5 C.Activate
6 End If
7 End With

It is perfectly working under Excel2000 but not under Excel97. In the
latter case, it stops in line 2 (set C =...) and I obtained the
following error : (1004)
Impossible to read the find property of the range class
(My translation of the error message is probably terrible!).
Can you help me to write this in a different manner ? The funny thing,
this code is given as an example of the Find property in the excel97
help file...
Thanks in advance.
Cyrille
JE McGimpsey

That code will work in XL97. However, you're probably running it from a
button, right? If so, you need to set the button's Take Focus On Click
property to False.

This was fixed in XL00.

In article ,
cyrille wrote:

Hi,
I have the following procedu

1 With Worksheets(1).Range("b10:b5000")
2 Set C = .Find("Science", LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole)
3 If Not C Is Nothing Then
4 firstAddress = C.Address
5 C.Activate
6 End If
7 End With

It is perfectly working under Excel2000 but not under Excel97. In the
latter case, it stops in line 2 (set C =...) and I obtained the
following error : (1004)
Impossible to read the find property of the range class
(My translation of the error message is probably terrible!).
Can you help me to write this in a different manner ? The funny thing,
this code is given as an example of the Find property in the excel97
help file...
Thanks in advance.

cyrille

I tought I understood but now I'm not so sure...
I tried something like :

Private Sub CommandButtonA_Click()
If Application.OperatingSystem < "Windows (32-bit) NT 5.00" Then
MsgBox Application.OperatingSystem
CommandButtonA.TakeFocusOnClick = False
End If
With Worksheets(1).Range("a10:a5000")
Set C = .Find("A", LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole)
If Not C Is Nothing Then
firstAddress = C.Address
C.Activate
End If
End With
End Sub

Indeed, with Excel97, the message box is open so I imagine that
CommandButtonA.TakeFocusOnClick property is set to false but I continue
to obtain the same error message (error 1004 : Impossible to read the
find property of the range class).
I suppose I did something wrong... Can you help me ??
Thanks in advance
Cyrille

cyrille wrote:

Hi,
I have the following procedu

1 With Worksheets(1).Range("b10:b5000")
2 Set C = .Find("Science", LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole)
3 If Not C Is Nothing Then
4 firstAddress = C.Address
5 C.Activate
6 End If
7 End With

It is perfectly working under Excel2000 but not under Excel97. In the
latter case, it stops in line 2 (set C =...) and I obtained the
following error : (1004)
Impossible to read the find property of the range class
(My translation of the error message is probably terrible!).
Can you help me to write this in a different manner ? The funny thing,
this code is given as an example of the Find property in the excel97
help file...
Thanks in advance.

Dave Peterson

While in design mode (another button on that control toolbox toolbar),
rightclick on the button and show its properties.

The change the .takefocusonclick property to false. (It's a one time manual
effort.)

Alternatively, you could do this:

Private Sub CommandButtonA_Click()
Activecell.activate '<--
With Worksheets(1).Range("a10:a5000")
Set C = .Find("A", LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole)
If Not C Is Nothing Then
firstAddress = C.Address
C.Activate
End If
End With
End Sub

But now a followup. Is worksheets(1) the same worksheet that holds the button?

If yes, then never mind. But if it's a different worksheet, you'll want to
select/activate that sheet before you activeate that found cell.

Private Sub CommandButtonA_Click()
Activecell.activate '<--
With Worksheets(1).Range("a10:a5000")
Set C = .Find("A", LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole)
If Not C Is Nothing Then
firstAddress = C.Address
c.parent.select '<--
C.Activate