Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Me Me is offline

Default Linking Files

I am using Excel 2003 and would like to do the following:

I have one file that Id like to use as a list that all other files within
this project would refer to; this file is simply a list of billing reasons.

Within the multiple (~30) other files I would like to be able to use a drop
down list (in column N) thats using the data in the €śbilling reasons€ť file.

I was informed that this may not work because the €śbilling reasons€ť file has
to be open whenever one of the other ~30 files is accessed. Since these are
files being used over a network, it isnt feasible to make sure the €śbilling
reasons€ť file is open all the time.

So, I would like to be able to use a drop down list in multiple files thats
using the data in the €śbilling reasons€ť file without needing the €śbilling
reasons€ť file to be open. If this can be done, how do I go about doing it?

Thank you in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

You should address this at the network level rather than in Excel.

There are many networking environments that allow a file to be openned by
several users simultaneously (read-only). SharePoint is one example.

Contact your network admin to get the best solution for your environment.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200735