Cowtoon

Default Time "and" Date for data points

I have date and time in my first column for my x axis, but I can't get both
date and time to display in the chart.

My data spans two weeks and now displays as I want it, but the data is
useless without showing the relevant date/time for the data points (across
the bottom of the chart).

Is there a work around for this. I've tried different date/time cell
formats which will display as I want it in the cell, but can't get the same
display in the chart. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help. Diana
coj

Cowtoon wrote:
I have date and time in my first column for my x axis, but I can't get both
date and time to display in the chart.

My data spans two weeks and now displays as I want it, but the data is
useless without showing the relevant date/time for the data points (across
the bottom of the chart).

Is there a work around for this. I've tried different date/time cell
formats which will display as I want it in the cell, but can't get the same
display in the chart. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help. Diana

What sort of graph is it ?

Try formatting the graph's x axis as "hh:mm dd-mmm-yyyy" or something
like that and it should show.
Cowtoon

Thanks for that, coj. I was looking for how to format using exact that (or a
variation on the same theme). Now ... here's a wierd question. In Excel,
there used to be a place to enter a "custom" date/time format, but I can't
find it in this version. Did it get moved.

To answer your question ... it's a line graph with two sets of data plotted
against date-time.
Thanks for your response.
Diana

"coj" wrote:

Cowtoon wrote:
I have date and time in my first column for my x axis, but I can't get both
date and time to display in the chart.

My data spans two weeks and now displays as I want it, but the data is
useless without showing the relevant date/time for the data points (across
the bottom of the chart).

Is there a work around for this. I've tried different date/time cell
formats which will display as I want it in the cell, but can't get the same
display in the chart. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help. Diana

What sort of graph is it ?

Try formatting the graph's x axis as "hh:mm dd-mmm-yyyy" or something
like that and it should show.

coj

Cowtoon wrote:
Thanks for that, coj. I was looking for how to format using exact that (or a
variation on the same theme). Now ... here's a wierd question. In Excel,
there used to be a place to enter a "custom" date/time format, but I can't
find it in this version. Did it get moved.

To answer your question ... it's a line graph with two sets of data plotted
against date-time.
Thanks for your response.
Diana

I don't know why Excel does this but it sometimes tries to put dates and
times as just dates in the graph if the sheet's data is formatted as
datetime.

I've got round this in the past by reformatting the date/time in the
sheet as general, then formatting the graph as "hh:mm dd-mmm-yy"

Custom formattings are at the bottom of the number category in the
format axis on Excel 2000 and 2003 I think
Tushar Mehta

If you have anything other than a XY Scatter chart, XL has probably set
your x-axis type to 'Time scale'. Unfortunately, that is bad choice of
a name because it is only a 'date scale'. The only alternative is to
set the type to 'Category' (select the chart then Chart | Chart
Options... | Axes tab). Unfortunately, that will mean all your data
points will be equally spaced along the x-axis.

If you are using a line chart, change your chart type to a XY Scatter
chart (sub type: the kind that has a connecting line between the
points).

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions