metro

Default Don't won't charts to display Zeroes

In the worksheets, I can easliy turn off display of zero values. In the
charts, I cannot find i similar option.
When formulas return a 0, N/A or empty cell (""), the chart seems to handle
it as a 0. I do not want to display those data points at all. How do I do it?

Jon Peltier

You can have the formula return NA(), which produces the #N/A error.
This is ignored by many charts, so that a line or scatter chart series
(for example) simply interpolate the connecting line across the gap.

A few chart types treat NA() as a zero, for example, area charts.

A formula returning "N/A" is not the same as using NA() to produce the
#N/A error. Any text returned in a cell is treated as the numerical
equivalent of zero. "" is not an empty cell, by the way; it's a short
text string, and is therefore treated as zero.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services