smintey

Default creating an x,y chart

Hi

I recently posted a querie on the microsoft newsgroups website
under-officeexcelcharts on the 9/dec/04
It was regarding creating an x,y scatter chart from two collumns of info. I
was advised to place x and y labels above the collumns and then use the chart
wizard. I tried this however i had the same problem. The x and y axis on the
chart runs from values of 0-2 and 0-1.5 respectively and 1 point is plotted
and its label is the entire collumn of values from the original spreadsheet.

I am completely stuck as to anything else to try so if you have any other
ideas as to what im doing wrong i would be very grateful to hear them.

Thanks so much
Steve

Jon Peltier

Steve -

I bet your problem is that not all "values" are numerical values, especially if they
were imported or pasted from somewhere else. Select all the data, press CTRL+1 to
format the range, and on the alignment tab, select General for Horizontal Alignment.
Press OK. Now all numbers will be right justified, and all text will be left justified.

To convert any nonnumeric values into numbers, copy a blank cell, select the cells
to change, and from the Edit menu, select Paste Special, using the Values and
Operation - Add options.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

smintey wrote:

Hi

I recently posted a querie on the microsoft newsgroups website
under-officeexcelcharts on the 9/dec/04
It was regarding creating an x,y scatter chart from two collumns of info. I
was advised to place x and y labels above the collumns and then use the chart
wizard. I tried this however i had the same problem. The x and y axis on the
chart runs from values of 0-2 and 0-1.5 respectively and 1 point is plotted
and its label is the entire collumn of values from the original spreadsheet.

I am completely stuck as to anything else to try so if you have any other
ideas as to what im doing wrong i would be very grateful to hear them.

Thanks so much
Steve

Del Cotter

Jon Peltier writes
To convert any nonnumeric values into numbers, copy a blank cell,
select the cells to change, and from the Edit menu, select Paste
Special, using the Values and Operation - Add options.

Thanks for that tip. I've never had a problem finding those nasty
hidden text numbers in my data sets, but converting them to numeric has
always been a pain. Now I don't have to F2, Enter all the way down the
column any more.

--
Del Cotter http://del_c.livejournal.com/

Send email to del2 at branta dot demon dot co dot uk