Dizzyone

Default Excel 97 spreadsheet doesn't open

I ran a repair on all Microsoft files and it must have reset something so
that existing spreadsheets can only be opened using FILE/OPEN.

When I double click on an existing worksheet in a folder, Excel opens but I
have to do a FILE/OPEN to get my existin file to open.

Gord Dibben

Diz

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:17:06 -0800, "Dizzyone"
wrote:

I ran a repair on all Microsoft files and it must have reset something so
that existing spreadsheets can only be opened using FILE/OPEN.

When I double click on an existing worksheet in a folder, Excel opens but I
have to do a FILE/OPEN to get my existin file to open.

Dizzyone

Gordon, thank you for your help. I tried the actions you gave me and none
worked. I was finally able to get with our network guy. Here's what he had me
do (and it worked).
From any folder screen
Tools
File Type

"Dizzyone" wrote:

I ran a repair on all Microsoft files and it must have reset something so
that existing spreadsheets can only be opened using FILE/OPEN.

When I double click on an existing worksheet in a folder, Excel opens but I
have to do a FILE/OPEN to get my existin file to open.

Dizzyone

here's the instrs my IT guy gave me.
go to Tools
folder Options