travelersway

Default Have A Letter Reference A Name For An Intoduction

I have a list of names (which will change) in column B "data work
sheet". I'd like to assign a letter from colmun A to represent the cell
that each name is entered (a=B1). I'd like to use that letter to
identify the name to be used in the introduction of a generic message
on "message work sheet". I'd like to place that letter in a location
like C5 and have it reference the name.
Please advise the best way to do that and how to approach it. Help
appreciated.

Example:

"DATA WORK SHEET"

................ A..............B

1................a..........MR SMITH

2.................b.........TOM SMITH

3.................c..........TOM L SMITH

Enter "a" into cell C5

"LETTER WORK SHEET"

Dear (data work sheet, C5) MR SMITH

--
travelersway
travelersway's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17623

swatsp0p

Use the VLOOKUP function. Name the range of your list of names
(including the column with the letter identifiers) as "NAMES" (or
whatever you like). Then use this formula:

="Dear "&VLOOKUP('data work sheet'!C5,NAMES,2)

Note: by 'naming' your list's range, as you adjust the size of the
list, you don't need to rewrite your formulas that refer to the range.
Just make sure the named range matches your list's range. It also makes
writing the formula easier, as you don't need to reference the sheet
(assuming it is in the same workbook).

Tip: you could also 'name' the cell C5 "CODE" (or whatever), then your
formula would look like:

="Dear "&VLOOKUP(CODE,NAMES,2)

HTH

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=345805

Chris Rogers

If your creating letters, you may get more functionality out of using
Word and doing a mail merge. It gives you some added functionality.