Songoku

Default Scatter Graph Data representation

Howdy,

need some advice on how to plot the following data,
I have a column of id's which are made of numbers and characters and another
column of numbers.

N122 20
N131 30
N131 20
N122 40
N144 20

What I need is to have the ID's on the X axis and The numbers on the Y but
it keeps repeating the y axis values. I believe this is a text to number
issue but am unaware of a way around this as i need the characters and
numbers....

any advise would be helpfull

Cheers
Barb Reinhardt

I'm guessing you want to have the data for N131 plotted at the same X
coordinate. When there are character values for the X coordinate, EXCEL
treats them as unique observations.

I've done something similar to this by setting up a couple of dummy series.

1 0 20 N122
2 0 30 N131
2 0 20 N131
1 0 40 N122
3 0 20 N144

Notice that 1 corresponds wtih N122, 2 = N131 and 3= N144.

I then create an XY scatter chart using the first column as the X and the
2nd and 3rd columns as Y. The second column will be used to locate a
label that's put on later.

Using Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler, I label the points that have Y=0 with
the actual X axis labels.
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

Jon Peltier gives an example on the use of this in the end of this article:
http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Cha...ackedLine.html

Good luck!

Barb Reinhardt