RandyBarrett

Default watch a curve change over time like a movie

I would like to be able to view my data set such that I can view the curve
change over time instead of viewing for example 10 curves on one graph. I
would like to be able to select the speed at which the curve is refreshed
(new data set), and the direction (so I can run the curve forward and
backward in time).

In essence, I have monthly data that represents one curve. I would like to
visually watch the curve change month by month instead of plotting one curve
for each month, I see one graph with the curve in motion over my data set
(time).
Jon Peltier

Randy -

You set this up with defined names, such that the Y values is defined
based on an integer value in another cell. Something like

Name: YValues
RefersTo:
=Offset(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$12,0,Sheet1!$E$1)

As the value in E1 increases, the range defined by the Offset is further
and further to the right. Your chart is based on these YValues.

Then you have a macro that moves forwards or backwards through the data
by changing the value in E1 by a certain amount after a given delay.
Shorter delays mean the curve changes more quickly.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

RandyBarrett wrote:

I would like to be able to view my data set such that I can view the curve
change over time instead of viewing for example 10 curves on one graph. I
would like to be able to select the speed at which the curve is refreshed
(new data set), and the direction (so I can run the curve forward and
backward in time).

In essence, I have monthly data that represents one curve. I would like to
visually watch the curve change month by month instead of plotting one curve
for each month, I see one graph with the curve in motion over my data set
(time).

RandyBarrett

Thank you for your quick resonse, here is what I did:

YValue is the defined name for the offset as you suggested.
I created a graph and typed "YValue" into the Data Range
I entered an integer into the referenced cell in the offset formula.
It worked great ... but

I figured that I should be able to enter a new integer into the referenced
cell and the graph would automatically change the curve ... it did not.

I went into Chart, Source Data, and the Data Range was the actual range
calculated by the last integer offset (Data!$D$1:$M$1) and NOT the name
"YValue" that I originally entered.

It seems that if "YValue" would remain the Source Data, then I could simply
enter a new integer and it would automatically update the chart. Then I
could create the macro as you have suggested.

What am I doing wrong?

RandyBarrett wrote:

I would like to be able to view my data set such that I can view the curve
change over time instead of viewing for example 10 curves on one graph. I
would like to be able to select the speed at which the curve is refreshed
(new data set), and the direction (so I can run the curve forward and
backward in time).

In essence, I have monthly data that represents one curve. I would like to
visually watch the curve change month by month instead of plotting one curve
for each month, I see one graph with the curve in motion over my data set
(time).

RandyBarrett

Thank you for the reply. Jon's suggestion worked for my application but I
enjoyed your article and may use it in the future.
Randy

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

For a solution that uses iteration (it has its own pros and cons) visit
the Excel Tips section (http://www.tushar-
mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html) and scroll down to 'Iteration to
animate a chart'

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I would like to be able to view my data set such that I can view the curve
change over time instead of viewing for example 10 curves on one graph. I
would like to be able to select the speed at which the curve is refreshed
(new data set), and the direction (so I can run the curve forward and
backward in time).

In essence, I have monthly data that represents one curve. I would like to
visually watch the curve change month by month instead of plotting one curve
for each month, I see one graph with the curve in motion over my data set
(time).

RandyBarrett

Jon,
After playing with the code it works beautifully!! Excellent suggestion and
I thank you very much. Now I just need a good book on programming macros
(I'm an old Fortran 77 guy). Thanks again.
Randy

RandyBarrett wrote:

I would like to be able to view my data set such that I can view the curve
change over time instead of viewing for example 10 curves on one graph. I
would like to be able to select the speed at which the curve is refreshed
(new data set), and the direction (so I can run the curve forward and
backward in time).

In essence, I have monthly data that represents one curve. I would like to
visually watch the curve change month by month instead of plotting one curve
for each month, I see one graph with the curve in motion over my data set
(time).

Jon Peltier

Randy -

Here are the books I use. Spend a half hour in a book store, and see
which one(s) you like:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/xlbooks.html

- Jon
-------