Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Break Link cause Send Error Report

I have an Excel 2003 file with 4 tabs. Sheet4 is a roster - dates and names.
The first of the date is sourced from Sheet1, the names on the roster are
sourced via data validation drop down boxes to dynamic named ranges on Sheet2
and Sheet3. On Sheet1 is a button with a macro behind it that publishes the
roster - basically it copies Sheet4 to a blank workbook and breaks the links
to the original workbook. Works beautifully in 2003.

However, when I try in on XP (2002) - the macro gives an Send Error Report
to MS error. When I try to do the macro steps manually, it errors again when
I break the links (Edit | Links | Break link btn | Break Links btn).

There's no error message or number - just Send Error Report to Microsoft.

Has anyone seen this before? Got a fix for it?

BTW it does the same thing if I save it down to Excel 2002 and then try it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Rather than using Break Links you could remove the links

On the copy of Sheet4 try

Sub CleanUp()
Dim N As Name
Activesheet.Cells.Validation.Delete
Activesheet.UsedRange.Copy
Activesheet.UsedRange.PasteSpecial xlValues
For Each N In ActiveWorkbook.Names
N.Delete
Next
End Sub

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Thank you Bill, that worked, it leaves the sheet highlighted and in a "ready
to paste" mode, so I'm going to add in and ESC keystroke and a CTRL+HOME
keystroke.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Rather than keystrokes I would recommend
Application.CutCopyMode=False
Range("A1").Select

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Thanks again, Bill. I tried that and got the following error:
Run-time error '1004'
Select method of Range class failed
Against the Range("A1").Select comment.
The error did not occur when I commented out that command. It struck me
that I had the freeze panes on so I change A1 to A4 and tried again... no
luck.
I googled the error and OzGrid gave me a possible answer: change the line to
Sheets("sheet_name").Range("A4").Select
I did that and the macro now runs without error.