mr unreliable

Default xl Headers and Footers always use 3/4 inch side margins???

hi Group,

I was annoyed that the header and footer side margins didn't line up
with the body of the document.

There are ways to adjust the top and bottom of the header/footer
margins (in the print preview, for example), but I couldn't find any
way to adjust the side margins.

Then I noticed in the manual (an old one) that: "Head/Footers always
use 3/4in margins". Is that still true with xl2K???

In an effort to circumvent the 3/4in side margins, I attempted to add
spaces to the left side of the header. While a crude approach, this did
work in the sense that I was able to shift the left side of the header over
(right-wards) a bit.

However, when I attempted to add spaces of the right side of the header,
xl wouldn't let me. Any time I typed in a space -- in an effort to shift
the
right side left-wards -- xl would just "swallow" the space.

Question 1. Is there any way to over-ride the 3/4in "fixed" margins for
headers and footers???

Question 2. Is there any way to enter spaces on the right side of the
header that xl will accept? For example, is there any character that will
print as a space, but that xl will not reject. (Windows has certain non-
space characters which will print as a space, for example hex(A0))...

tiafah, jw

Gord Dibben

Question 1.

No, you cannot override the 3/4 inch margin.

Question 2.

In Custom Header enter some text "this is some text"(no quotes), hit the
spacebar 29 or 36 times(you won't see any spaces being entered, but they
are)and OK.

Then go to print preview to see the right-side margin.

With enough spaces, you can move the right-side margin to left side of sheet.

Will also work with Filename, date etc.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP