MBelchamber

Default Technical formatting in data labels

Hi,

I am using a bar chart to show data collected from scientific experiments. I
need to label each bar on the x axis with a seperate value (100uM H2O2, 200uM
H2O2 etc). However, the formatting shown in the cell is not carried through
to the chart - i.e. in H2O2 both 2's should be subscript. I am sure there
must be an obvious way to do this - lots of people must need it for chemistry
(e.g. formulas) and general maths (e.g. cm2).

Any ideas?

Tushar Mehta

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to maintain formatting when
information in a chart is from a cell link. You can adapt the ideas at
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html (scroll down and
click the 'Dynamic textbox in chart with custom formatting' link) to
get to http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ti...namic%20chart%
20textbox.pdf

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
Hi,

I am using a bar chart to show data collected from scientific experiments. I
need to label each bar on the x axis with a seperate value (100uM H2O2, 200uM
H2O2 etc). However, the formatting shown in the cell is not carried through
to the chart - i.e. in H2O2 both 2's should be subscript. I am sure there
must be an obvious way to do this - lots of people must need it for chemistry
(e.g. formulas) and general maths (e.g. cm2).

Any ideas?

Jon Peltier

First, get a real mu by holding ALT while typing 0181 from the numeric
keypad: µ. For subscripts and superscripts, the usual suggestion is to
find a chemical font that has extended characters with such formatting
built into the font. It is possible to format chart and axis titles,
data labels, and text boxes (not axis tick labels) character by
character, so that some characters can be sub/superscripted, a different
font, or a different color. I've written routines to transfer this
formatting from a cell to a chart text element. Unfortunately so far
it's almost one-off; each time it must be pasted in and tweaked until it
works. Some day I'll revise the code so it's more durable.

Essentially how it works is that you first transfer the text of the cell
to the text element, then you sample the formatting of each character in
the cell, and apply this to the corresponding character of the text element.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services